What training have Saracens done today.

Good to see a few Saracen members join the Saturday ride today. 

If anyone else is interested we leave from the Bramley Cottage, Callow Hill in Redditch at bang on 9 o'clock, then head down towards Elcocks Brook and then left and down along Ditchford Bank Road / Flying Horse Lane.  But a number of people wait at the cross roads just up from Chessgrove and then jump on the back, but the more the merrier.

This is the route that is the same each week, the only section that "may" be altered is the direction that we go over Throckmorton airfield and that is dependant on the direction of the wind.  The pace can vary depending on who goes on the front. :rolleyes:

HERE

And yes, it was to cold for wearing shorts this morning!!  :wub:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well,  so much for my short ride out to day.   I expected to do maybe an hour and a half through the lanes and get

back early  but 3 And a half + hours later I find myself nearing home having latched on to the Redditch R & P CC

run for a fairly brisk ride of some 55 miles when I arrived home.

A well disciplined  ride with a number of familiar faces from the past and present,  it was particularly good to see

Terry Carbutt out and going quite well ( he who says I never go out much on my bike! ). only joking mate   Come on

lets have you doing some racing no need to wait for the new Saracen kit to arrive.

And yes Alan you should know better, I thought I was pushing my luck with no gloves just track mits.

I find myself nearing home having latched on to the Redditch R & P CC

run

At the risk of splitting hairs, but this is not a RRPCC ride although they have claimed it as there being their own organised ride??  :huh:   It was originally started by three of us many years ago and it has gradually grown and grown to the numbers that we see now, often 20 + riders

Anyone is free to join us and it would be great to see some more Saracen riders joining in.

The 'official' RRPCC ride actually starts at 08:30 from the same place as our 09:00 ride. But it is a much slower pace and they always have a good group, I also seem to think that they take a similar route as we do as we always seem to catch them on the Throckmorton airfield  road.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Well traditionally the new year was always the time to start  some serious training on the bike for the coming season. So as this thread had got some what lost in the archives  it's time to bump  it up.

Decided to start the coming  weeks with 3 core sessions and fill in the rest of the week with increasing LSD 

Monday 5k rowing erg

Tues     40 min Turbo, 30 min  hard

Wed      5k erg  + 20 mins turbo      

Thurs    3 K erg + 30 mins turbo

Outdoor Heated Pool.

Amateur Swimming Association Competitive Swim Programme Session 8.

70 mins.

20LWU, 12LTT, 56L Pyramid, 28L Drills. 2(8CD) 2720m.

First swim since 12 November. Too ill.

15mins Sauna, 15mins Steam room.

INSANITY Abs.

Forgotten what a moving bike is! Goes too fast.

Really laughed at Dave's reps on the cup of coffee. Miss the humour. Happy New Year everyone.

Good idea really popular post.

Great to see this topic moving again Colin.  I hope to be able to contribute now that the TT programme for next year out. It has given me some incentive to start turbo training again - that and reading Obree's brilliant book 'The Obree Way'.

Cheers Dave, Happy new year to you matey.

Yes I read that book over xmas too, quite a simple  structure really to his average week, three core sessions then just easy rides. The 20 /30 min turbo session is the main focus which has to be improved week on week it would be good to share results if anyone else cares to join in. Last week I managed 29 .2 km/h for the 30 mins not flat out but it was hard.

Cheers Dave, Happy new year to you matey.

Yes I read that book over xmas too, quite a simple  structure really to his average week, three core sessions then just easy rides. The 20 /30 min turbo session is the main focus which has to be improved week on week it would be good to share results if anyone else cares to join in. Last week I managed 29 .2 km/h for the 30 mins not flat out but it was hard.

Do you mean we all have the book and follow it?

I will try & write the average Watts and average HR from the spin bike down.

I can't give you any feed back from my sessions as I do not have any electronics connected to my bike. I work solely on a stopwatch. I will progress over the next couple of months by gradually increasing the length of intervals. 

Good luck with the intervals Dave what do you do in a typical week?

This  weeks  training sessions

Thursday  3K erg  + 30 min turbo tempo

Friday       60 min turbo tempo

Saturday  5K erg

Sunday    3k erg +65 min turbo Sub LT 

Monday   30 min erg

Tues rest day however wife wanted 4 hours decorating on the house :sad:

Wednesday  20 mins turbo 30.8 km/h + 3K erg 

note to self must get out more :blush:

Did a rather stupid turbo session last night at 3 hours 3 minutes - 65.3 miles :ohmy:  

Firstly a 3/4 hour warm up finishing up at 80% of max heart rate, thereafter 3 minutes @ 60%, 3 minutes @ 70% and 3 minutes @ 80%  Repeat that 16 times!  With the last few (80%) 3 minutes intervals now ramped up to 90% and the very last (80%) 3 minute set absolutely flat out to maximum heart rate.

Just done another not quite so long turbo session at just 1 hour 35 minutes - 30.35 miles.  Same pattern as above, but with only 1/2 hour warm up and only repeated just 8 times.

Wow Alan over 3 hours on the turbo, that's some session matey, but well done all the same.

Some what sorter sessions for me this week,

Thursday 5K erg + 50 mins endurance turbo TE 3.5

Friday     44 km road ( including Lee bank climb  in granny ring) it still hurt though. TE 4.0

Saturday 50 mins endurance turbo TE 3.5

Sunday   5k erg a hard 21:07.7   + 60 min tempo on turbo TE3.6

Monday rest day

Tuesday 20 mins hard turbo 31.4km/h (30.8 last week) 158 ave HR 168 EHR  +3K erg TE 4.0

Did a rather stupid turbo session last night at 3 hours 3 minutes - 65.3 miles :ohmy:  

Firstly a 3/4 hour warm up finishing up at 80% of max heart rate, thereafter 3 minutes @ 60%, 3 minutes @ 70% and 3 minutes @ 80%  Repeat that 16 times!  With the last few (80%) 3 minutes intervals now ramped up to 90% and the very last (80%) 3 minute set absolutely flat out to maximum heart rate.

Just done another not quite so long turbo session at just 1 hour 35 minutes - 30.35 miles.  Same pattern as above, but with only 1/2 hour warm up and only repeated just 8 times.

That really is some impressive self-discipline. I just don’t know how you do it.

The most I have ever managed on a turbo was an hour and I thought the boredom would kill me.

What on earth do you do to occupy your mind for so long? 

Archived