Club Run 9th April

Sarashell

First of all Happy Easter everyone. 🐣🐣🐇🐇

John got his wish as there were a lot of us out today in what turned out to be an eventful club run.

Starting at TB were John, Gordon, Tim, Moira, Bev, Kev (not Bevs Kev) and me. Bevs Kev had passed us earlier on his motor bike but I missed him apparently.

We picked up Steve and the Philpotts en route and headed off into a pretty strong head wind. Barry also joined us for a short time but had to get home as he had family visiting. Kev had shot off in front to speak to another rider. We didn't see him again until the cafe.

Someone, naming no names (Alan), was complaining that the group were going too slow up one of the bigger hills 🙈. Some choice words were exchanged and needless to say disciplinary action is being considered into the matter as swearing is not to be tolerated apparently.  Honestly, I'll try not to swear in future but in my defence I was under intense pressure for not going fast enough into a head wind and after being off the bike for a week. I was told not to have so many holidays. This lot aren't very sympathetic 🤣🤣🤣.

Anyway continuing on, I was informed at the cafe that another incident nearly caused Moira and Bev to take a tumble as Barry pulled in sharpish as a car was coming and a fall was narrowly missed.

We got to the right turn just before the cafe and disaster.... John fell off into the ditch. He got up quickly and wasn't seriously hurt but has hurt his knee. Hopefully, he will recover quickly. This was caused by the front rider slowing without warning and wheels were clipped causing John to tumble. So remember, good communication is paramount to keep everyone safe 👍

We got to the cafe and there were a few words exchanged about the incident and apologies made.  After tea, toast and tea cakes everyone seemed a lot happier again. 😊. Although the kitchen were a bit confused as they kept bringing out stuff we hadn't ordered. They were pretty busy 🙈

Dave M and Chris also joined us at the cafe so a great turn out. We were all a bit worried as Moira had 2 cups of coffee and everyone knows she goes a bit loopy on caffeine. But thankfully she managed to keep herself in check 🤣🤣🤣.

I'm pleased to report that the ride home was much less fractious. So Fallings out and falling off were the order of the day, but we still had a great ride and lovely company.

Pics below. One showing John's muddy back after crawling out of the ditch. 🙄

See you all next time. 🤞

IMG-20230409-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20230409-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20230409-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20230409-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20230409-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20230409-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20230409-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20230409-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20230409-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20230409-WA0000.jpg

I think I must say something about falling off, firstly it was an accident just one of those things.  However, when I was lying there upside down, I heard a voice say, quick get the camera. As you can imagine, that is why I got up so quickly. I felt fine ish, but I wish I hadn’t landed on my bad knee.  I must also say I’m really glad the ditch wasn’t full of water. Having a shower at home, I had a few saw bits, but nothing to worry about. See you all next week. 🚲

Another great report from Julie an excellent turnout.

The pictures were ok as well.

Shame about John falling of should be more careful at his age.

Roger and I headed out in the same direction but turned at Throckmorton

and crossed the airfield to return for home.

Having not ridden up past Philpott Tower for some it came as a surprise to

see the building site with drive and hardcore down next door.

Is this an extension or are they building a cafe for passing cyclists?

Is Alan the project manager when will it be completed????

Julie what can I say I was surprised to hear your words at Mr P but very funny and well deserved x

I love the coffee there and was Extra hyper as Gordon got me a second cup as I think he wanted me on the front on the way home.

Luckily this time I was no where near John when he fell off just heard a loud noise and saw him jumping up quickly not advisable at his age 🤣🤣 me old mate 😜

A great ride but a shame it wasn’t as sunny as Saturday 

I have just read the club run post, a very good read Julie, as usual, but as I didn't make the cafe stop I wasn't there to defend the accusation made against me,  nor do I think the club forum is a vehicle to name and shame!  Clearly I dispute the allegation. Perhaps for the benefit of all, we should discuss the correct protocol when the call is made "car up, car down".