Proposal to start winter club runs an hour later

Lancashire Lad

I would like to propose that the Tuesday meeting times are moved to 10am during the winter months i.e November -- end of March. The mornings are now getting cold and when the frost starts the extra 1/2 hour could allow the sun on bright days, to help. The Thursday runs always start at 10am  though out  the year, so why not change the Tuesday start time in winter. I know the subject has been raised in the past, but never acted upon.

Quite a few rides go out later on their own, so with safety in numbers in mind, why not change? even 10.30/11am for a 3hr run, back before darkness. I for one will be doing this, but would enjoy the company of others. Anything is better than the Turbo. Any comments or views.

This is a hoary old problem, it used to be 9-00am!!

The problem with starting later, is that we arrive 

at the cafe later,which means we then get involved

with their lunchtime trade.

the alternatives would appear to be,

(1) no cafe stop or

(2) a shorter run.

I personally like to be home by 2pm.

If the weather is bad or too cold,

individuals usually make their own decision.

I fully understand Ivor's comments and i personally would be happy  to do a shorter / normal run during the Winter with a shorter /  no cafe' stop  ( it's hard starting again in winter after a cafe' stop,when you have generated warmth on the bike before the stop)   based on a 10 or 10.30 start

. How do others who normally ride with the B's feel.

I should have mentioned in my original proposal that the same reasons also apply to Sundays, but I have to say that i will be reducing my Sunday ride attendance during winter.

I should have responded to Ivor's comments," that if it is too cold individuals will make their own decision"  Yes they will, but perhaps maybe a later start will change their decision not to go out. Some do go a little later and the benefit of riding with others has many advantages during  testing conditions  Icy cold or ice/ snow is a definite NO NO !!

Good turnout for todays ride, 10 riders ( Dave C lead with good alternative route out. Thanks Dave)  but we took a soaking on the return from the café.

Starting time for the Tuesday ride was discussed and a unanimous decision for a 10am start, with café stop, home by 2 ish was reached. I agreed to post the decision on the club Website.

Sunday start time for the B group was not discussed, but I would propose for the same reasons that a 10am start time for winter ( November to the end of March)  should also be applied.  Any comments?

Agree that 10am sounds better in the cold potentially icy months.

It would be a shame to loose the usual cafe stop & good to get back at the usual time.

Which suggests that the ride out to the cafe needs to take 30 minutes less, which raises the problem of adapting the usual routes without having to use main roads or other undesirable diversions. 

How about planning a couple of 10am rides at the end of the month as a trial?

Thank you all for your contributions to the proposals ( discussions at the café on Tuesday and via the club site} I think the general sensible consensus, is a later start, during the winter months.

I leave it to the leaders of the groups to make the final decision.

I do accept that it may require is slight adjustment to the routes to accommodate a later start on Tuesday and Sunday, should you agree and it goes without saying that we are all very appreciative of the group leaders.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a general consensus that we should move the Tuesday start time to 10am during the Winter months. Can we be informed by our B group leader, Ivor, if and when this will start? There was after all a unanimous agreement by all those who  responded  to the proposal and at our discussions at the café. Can I suggest starting on Tuesday the 25th November.

Ivor, You have been democratically elected by acceptance and respect.

It is however incumbent upon you to accept and respect the unanimous (not majority) wishes of your group to change the meeting time to 10am on Tuesday and Sunday during the Winter months i.e December- end February. The fact that it has been the current time for many years is no reason to ignore the wishes of your peer group, life is constantly changing.

In the so called good old days a man walked in front of a car with a red flag   In the 50s, Tour de France riders were only allowed to drink 2 bottles of water during a 400 mile stage.

Change can be for the good, quite apart from safety and I have to say, several of your stalwarts have expressed to me their disappointed that you are not prepared to accept the proposal. I think I speak for myself and them in asking you to reconsider your decision. so that we remain a compact group and don't go our own way during this period.

Ivor, We all think you are an excellent leader. Please listen to us.

I think the later starts are definitely the way to go during the winter months.

The problem is though some of us would prefer (when possible) to get out at normal time and get back earlier to have more of the day. It seems to me the best option is to wait until the temperatures drop to the point where there is a real danger of ice. It’s at this time of year where that extra hour can make all the difference.

Of course this could mean changing the start time with only a couple of days’ notice, but then again I think most of us all keep up with the forum.

Archived