Saracen RC Audax ride report 23/8/15

SARACEN RC AUDAX 23/8/15

ride report  100k

29awrwy.jpg

We all met at Julie's cafe on a mild and dry start to the day, for the Saracen RC 100k Audax, a lumpy route from Droitwich to Cleobury, Tenbury, Bromyard and finish back at Droitwich.

11b25nt.jpg

Garmin elevation, high point at Clows top.

2a60ewy.jpg

Event organiser Sean Barker gives the keynote address before the start to the amassed peloton...

9am, we ride....

The first 15 miles are incredibly steady, then the first climb, 'Abberley' looms, Owen and I are on the front keeping it calm, as we near the top we lean on the pedals, the peloton splits, we drop down through Pensax and are on the next climb to Clows Top. Dave Cunningham (Bromsgrove Olympique) is in his element and blasts up the climb, (the first of many red zones for me....)

oizxo3.jpg

Cleobury is checkpoint no.1

leaving Cleobury, the half dozen or so riders head towards Tenbury, (which I think is the hardest part of the loop) I hang on.

Outside Tenbury there is a curious checkpoint at the end of a lane, (the sign said 2 miles BTW) there were riders, and cars going in both directions on a narrow lane, the inevitable happened, ie an unstoppable force, meets an immovable object!!!

all I know is the car came out worse.

The road between Tenbury and Bromyard is pretty hilly as well...

118nbep.jpg

The Corner Cafe, the 2nd control, which opened especially for us was soon over run with Audaxers!!! there was coffee and cakes everywhere, it steamed up with condensation in no time, then the rain came down hard, I wanted to get going, it had barely stopped as I got pushed out of the door...

We climbed up out from Bromyard, the rain came down again, we saw Hannah and Chris.K coming the other way!! somebody was lost, and it wasn't us...

Our group whittled down until there were two.

10m to go, we were committed, all or nothing, full gas as they say, all you need to know is whilst Dave had age and power on his side, I had age and Garmin on mine....

20kvzg9.jpg

Dave Cunningham's victory meal.

Thanks to all involved for organising and volunteering to run this eventful event.  great job.

Mentioned in Despatches

Hannah Smith   (Saracen RC)  rode it on her fixed wheel bike!!!  got lost, soaked, and starved, but never gave up. 103.7 miles door to door.

adolrd.jpg        w979rs.jpg      2jflnk6.jpg

As always Kev, a fab report. Lots of awesome photos and a fantastic retelling of the days events. :-)

Thank you for the special mention :rolleyes: I simply couldn't have achieved the task without the companionship of Chris Kent and the support of Owen Hazlewood. Thank you both, and thank you to Sean, Julie, Ed, Hillary, Ivor and Dave for providing the event support.

Can't wait to ride it again next year!!!

Archived