The Saracen Summer Audax 2015

Well despite a couple of spills and one unfortunate mechanical and some utterly atrocious weather I thought yesterday went rather well.

There was universal praise and thanks for the Saracen’s efforts on putting on this event from the riders and everyone seemingly looking forward to our next event.

I would just like to take this opportunity to thank all those who made the event run so smoothly

At the start/finish area Hilary and Edwina for ensuring everything ran smoothly

At the first control at Cleobury Mortimer – Ivor for checking in all the riders and keeping us all up to speed on progress back at base. Also the staff at the Cleobury café for taking care of us.

At the Bromyard control. – Dave Jones for checking in all the riders and keeping us fully aware of what was happening back at base and also the staff at “The Café on the Corner” who opened especially for us and by all the reports I’ve had back were exceptional.

Also our honouree Saracen members Julie and her staff who as always were a major part of the success of our events.

A special mention to Chris Kent who saved me and the day by getting the bottles to the café and for always making himself available when needed.

And last but not least to all the riders who braved what was a challenging course on a challenging day. Utter respect to you all.  

I have just returned from visiting Tim having only heard today of his misfortune yesterday.

I'm sure you'll all be pleased to know that he appears to be well on the mend!

I do hope that Chris is feeling better than he looked yesterday after what had clearly been a shocking & nasty incident.

However if one considers that cumulatively in excess of 3500 miles were cycled in what were at times atrocious conditions with the accompanying hazard of blatantly dangerous and inconsiderate driving by numerous "boy-racers" things could have been a lot worse with respect to the number of incidents & their severity; not to trivialize of course Chris & Tim's misfortune!!

On a personal note Hannah & I had a very eventful day!

The ride with Tim from home to Julie's was a breeze compared to what Hannah & I were to experience in our 104 mile epic.

It goes without saying that we went off course somewhat, in fact about 16 miles off course, but if one's going to mess-up then best do it in style big-time!!!!!

I think we'd both had our lingering doubts for quite some time & distance, with each believing that the other knew where we were & where we were going. WRONG ON BOTH COUNTS.

The first tell-tale signs were surely that the distance to Tenbury Wells markers/signs were increasing rather than decreasing.

Well by the time we reached Abberley & Great Witley the penny had well & truly dropped!!

After a brief stop there we decided to cut our losses or should I say "bite-the-bullet" and take the main road to Bromyard some 12 miles distant.

What a tough, terribly-surfaced roller-coaster of a road that is (the B4203) and along which some 3 to 4 miles the heavens opened.

Coming down like stair rods was never more aptly used. Literally soaked to the skin in 5 seconds or less.

We both appreciated the primary need in pressing on to keep warm. Indeed the climbing sections were much more pleasurable now than the descents with greater body-heat being generated & less risk of falling.

Well it was tough for me but for Hannah on a relatively small fixed on such a road & in such conditions; what superlatives can one employ, suffice to say she's made of very tough stuff, never moaned once and as good a companion as you could wish for in such circumstances.

Well were we pleased to reach the Bromyard cafe' & who would you expect to be waiting for us there, still dry and unsoiled, Hannah's knight in shining armour Owen and his most able assistant Alec.

What a pair of Gents! Their support & company for the remainder of the ride was very much appreciated indeed.

So ALL IN ALL ANOTHER GREAT SARACEN DAY OUT, Which surely further enhanced the CLUB'S reputation.

Many thanks foremost to Sean for all is hard organizational work ably assisted on the day by Hilary, Edwina, Ivor, Terry, Dave, Julie & her staff without whom the event could not have been run.        

Awesome report Kenty, and there is simply no way I could or would have continued if not for your incredible company and support. Thank you again to everyone involved and a very special thank you to you Chris for your incredible support and companionship, my knight Owen and my fave customer Alec! :)

• 3 weeks later...

A belated Audax report.

Not my best day on the bike.

A big thanks to Kevin Young for waiting and giving me a tow across to Bromyard.

A few pictures of the days event.

Breakfast before the start.

15gsgvo.jpg

2v2upaq.jpg

Getting ready for the off.

2mfwx9i.jpg

drbfpf.jpg

icl9pd.jpg

A long day well done to Dave Jones.

2ivjhhx.jpg

A welcome break at Bromyard cafe to refuel.

34ryjkp.jpg

2hgwr4l.jpg

On the return to Julies Mick takes advantage of the all day breakfast.

11wgegz.jpg

Sean finds his true vocation in life.

It was a surprise how handy Sean is with a mop.

1z49x5c.jpg

2i7v4hy.jpg

Well done to all shame about the weather.

Archived