B Run - 9th August

Sean Barker

A more sedate B/C run reached Evesham in time to get an outside table. Present were Moira, Chris, Ruth, Ken, Alan, Tony. We allowed special friends Wally & Sue to join us, plus Kevin as advance guard of the A/B's, then a further welcome arrival was Shardlow junior, in training for his Charity Ride for Type 1 Diabetes research. In due course the main B run arrived but for some reason decided to ignore us and sit inside, despite a sunny table becoming vacant. Shame! Despite the best efforts of the front runners (no names but we know who you are), the B run was still in sight of the B/C run at Craycombe on the way back, but we saw no point in showing them up further, so let them go.

Details of Richard's Charity Ride :

On August 24th I'm heading off from High Wycombe with 6 colleagues of varying experience and fitness to cycle to our Global Pharma HQ in Beerse, Belgium.
Some of you may know the area around Antwerp, its terrain and its weather quite well, so you can imagine the challenges we might meet getting the whole group to our destination intact.
We'll be riding around 500km (could be more - I'm in charge of navigation!) in 4 1/2 days, although as long as the Channel Tunnel or Ferry are working there'll be no need for pedalos en route :-)
If you would like to donate, the combined Just Giving page is here... https://www.justgiving.com/A-McGuigan/
For more information about JDRF see here... http://www.jdrf.org.uk/?gclid=CJjX3IqX-cYCFaiE2wodu7EAaA

Nice report Tony.

I have to hold my hands up and confess it was me who suggested we stay inside. I wasn't feeling too well having come out without a drinks bottle and somewhat dehydrated. I really needed to be out of the sunshine.

With me on the B run today were Chris Kent, Alan Weaver, John Shelley, Pete Cooper, Gary Woodward andTim Brueton (who because of time constraints had to turn back at the cafe)

I'll add all the names to the Club Runs table and later I will add the riders who rode in the Club Championships today Today's club championships like our Audax events count towards club points)

Well where does one start???

"Preferably the bxxxxx beginning" I hear the anguished cries of fellow members & viewers of our site!!!!!!

Well it was like this:- Sean had suggested the venue via a different, more interesting & lengthier outward route than our norm!

Those were the relatively straightforward ingredients in the 'B'-run mix.

Add to that though the fact that yours truly was under threat of severe sanction, withdrawal of privileges, serious physical assault or worse if I was not back home by 2pm in a totally alcohol-free state because of special meal being prepared for the visiting "ex out-laws".

Whilst on the subject I think Garry (who we met coming in the opposite direction as we rode back towards home on our circuitous route from Tardebigge) needed to be back early as well for further baby-sitting duties; possibly the 3pm & 6pm feeds. Well that's the way I remember it!!

So gathered at Tardebigge were Tim, Peter, John S., Alan W., Derek, to be joined by Sean & with a passing chat from Kevin Y., (the 'A' run representative) who made his own no doubt fast way to Evesham.

So off the intrepid pedalled, shortly to be joined by Garry.

Cobley Hill, Rowney Green, Aspley Heath, Ullenhall, Great Alne, Haselor, Temple Grafton, Ardens Grafton, Bidford, Marcliff, Cleeve Prior & Offenham to Evesham was our route!

Well that was the easy part, all 38 miles of it. Sorry Derek we did wait & I suspect you must have missed the right-hand turn off the old Beoley circuit (Lilley Green Rd) or you turned back for a less adventurous ride,

So 12.01hrs we arrived at a "busy" venue. NO ONE WAS IGNORED!!!! as we set about getting something to eat & drink.

An orderly group derparture, with our other club members, followed about 40/45 minutes later with a steady restrained pace along the main road (B4084 Pershore Road).

On turning right however, towards Charlton & Fladbury, the need for a speedier (potentially"life-saving") return pace was certainly grasped by me.

So apologies then to anyone who didn't join in and may have thought we were being anti-social.

The bonus for me as well as making it by the skin of my teeth was cathching & passing 16 of the big Beacon Group just after the Upper Gambolds, after I had turned left & right from Copyholt Lane (having been dropped again up Coalash Lane by my co-conspireters).

Another great harmonious Saracen Sunday ride!!!!

I know that Tony. For my part I was keen to point out the importance of taking sufficient drinks on a ride and indeed point out my stupidity in failing to do so.

I felt slightly unsteady and dehydrated on arriving at the café and steadily worse on the ride home. It wasn’t long before I slipped off the back of the B group and gingerly made my way home. On arriving at Barnt Green I popped into the Tesco express and bought a couple of bottles of fruit juice whereupon I made my way to Bill Oakley’s bench and downed them both.

I felt a little better after that but uncharacteristically fell asleep shortly after getting back home.

I shall certainly remember my drinks bottle in future. 

I know that Tony. For my part I was keen to point out the importance of taking sufficient drinks on a ride and indeed point out my stupidity in failing to do so.

I felt slightly unsteady and dehydrated on arriving at the café and steadily worse on the ride home. It wasn’t long before I slipped off the back of the B group and gingerly made my way home. On arriving at Barnt Green I popped into the Tesco express and bought a couple of bottles of fruit juice whereupon I made my way to Bill Oakley’s bench and downed them both.

I felt a little better after that but uncharacteristically fell asleep shortly after getting back home.

I shall certainly remember my drinks bottle in future. 

One of my favourite stops.

Moam balls chewed and washed down with copious Red Bull on a bad day!

Archived