What a difference a couple of inches make!

Sean Barker

As a few of you are aware I suffer with lower back problems, so decided it might make things more comfortable for me if I raised the handlebars a couple of inches. So bought this adjustable stem

bbb-bhs-29-stem.jpg?w=800&h=800&a=7

Tomorrow I ride my third 200km audax of four this week, so its going to be interesting to see how the old back holds up 

Sean your making me feel dizzy  :blink: Are you carrying out some sort of 'Non Distructive Test' on your back for medical research?  The new stem looks the business - it's got to worth a try. All the best for tomorrow.

Cheers Dave

I do take as much care as possible with regular stops and stretching. However after I fitted the new stem today I took the bike out for a spin and was pleasantly surprised at how much more comfortable it felt. 

Well just finished another 200km audax today (my 3rd 200km audax in five days) and my back feels much better than usual so that adjustable stem seems to have worked a treat.

With another 200km audax the day after tomorrow I'm feeling pretty confident for a change :) . 

Dont forget Sean it is the reach forward

as well as the heigt which effects your back.

Also the height of your saddle effects which

muscles you use.As does the position of the saddle

fore/aft.

Cyclists have notoriously tight ham strings,

There are several different stretches for the ham strings and glutes

which are all inter connected.

Plenty to go at, dont give up,

Merckx used to stop and alter his saddle height mid-race.

As ones body gets older you have to change your position also......Ivor.

Thanks Ivor,

I have raised the handlebars but kept the reach the same and I seem to be much more comfortable

That's really interesting about having to change your position as you get older, I didn't realise that.

Also a fascinating fact about Merckx, could you imagine seeing that these days? :D  

Archived