Midland Womens Time Trial series ( Event Four )

Well hear we are again the next round of the series,  Saturday 13th June on the K33/10D.

Both the Fast Lane and the Pocket Rocket are taking on the challenge and is set tobe a very close run battle.

The Pocket Rocket is of at 2.26 pm closely followed by The Fast Lane 11 mins later at 2.37.

A quality field of some 40 women taking part and i'm sure our girls will also be watching with interest there fellow competitors and results comparing times etc recorded in previous events.

I will be there to support both and there will be no favouritism shown to either.  Honest.

This will be the Rockets 3rd TT at this distance and I beleive will be riding fixed wheel again.

The Fast Lane has a little more experience over the distance but I know desperately wants to improve her PB which currently stands at 28m.15s compared to the Rockets 27.21. Fast Lane has also ridden the course before which could give her a slight advantage ?.

Anyways,  there we are   THE BIG SHOWDOWN, THE CLASH OF THE TITANS   Whatever ever you want to call it the girls will both give it 100% or more I'm sure and whatever the result I know they will be the first to congratulate each other. A great bit of friendly rivalry and I wish them both a fast and safe ride.

I will report back with results as soon as I can.

Very excited to be riding this event with The Fast Lane! And Mickey Rourke, you know me so well... I've already ear marked a few of the female riders, checked their previous times and started developing my strategy and goals!

I will indeed be riding fixed again, on a 46/15. If I knew the course I might be tempted to try a 46/14 - but I'll stick with the setup I used on the K11 as at least I know I can spin on that gear. 

And you're also right, despite our rivalry Lau and I will both support one another and congratulate the other on a good ride. 

Oh... one final thing.... who on earth changed our signatures to our nicknames in fiery letters?!?!? :blink:  I have my suspicions... you rogues!  :tongue:

Well I have been thinking of the headlines for today,  Round 4 of the MWTTS.

But I think the best one is      '  Didn't they do well '

After this morning rather dreary start with rain having set in till gone 1pm the roads were still pretty

wet for the early riders but at least that nagging wind which we have had for a while had dropped.

Having picked up Hannah to take her to the race she was very calm and showing little sign of

being nervous.  A little concerned about Laura as neither of us had had contact for a while with her

but then Han received a text saying she was on her way having just finish work.

On her arrival the usual banter was exchanged between them  like only just finished work, done no

training, have a slight ache in my leg muscle.   There as bad as us Men !!.

Anyways,   The Pocket Rocket heads off for the start but soon returned to get her crash helmet she

had forgotten to put on and was then followed a few minutes latter by Fast Lane.

I was then off in the car to give them some support at about the 6 mile mark.

The rocket came through first pedaling her 74 inch fixed and really going for it,  a quick look at the

to watch and then awaited the arrival of Fast Last.  WELL it could not have been closer virtually

neck and neck when Fast Lane came through and pushing what seemed to be a big gear.

I then went past Fast Lane in the Fast Lane of the dual carriagway to stop at the layby and give her

further encouragment with just a couple of miles left to do.

Back at HQ the Rocket was waiting for me to get back and said that it was tough but had enjoyed it

but was keen to ask how Fast Lane was going.

Well it didn't take us long to find out because the results were already up when we enterred the HQ

and the  Fast Lane was rewarded the victory over the Rocket but OH so Close !!

Fast Lane - 28.22 and the Rocket - 28.29.      Well done both.

A course PB for Fast Lane,  first time on this course for the Rocket.

Whilst sitting down eating as much cake as possible and drinking the Tea it was time for the girls to

reflect on there results and talk about the seconds lost hear and there.  Yeah just like the Men !.

Both happy with there results it was time to go.     The battle continues next Sunday in the Club

Championship 25 m tt. at Hinckley,  and this will be the first event at this distance for both of them.

Fast Lane commented that she can't wait !!!.                 The Rocket said, well it only 25miles !!!.

Just to correct Mickey Rourke's awesome race report I did a 28:29, not a 28:27 - 7 seconds off of the pace of the Fast Lane! 

BUT... and here it comes.... I did get caught out at 2 of the 3 roundabouts and lost time on both. And I made a poor wardrobe choice leading to a 'beyond uncomfortable' saddle area issue!   :wacko:

However, those things aside, I am pleased with my time and even if they hadn't have happened it would have still been very close between the Fast Lane and I. And to be fair, I was well rested, whereas Lau had just finished a shift at work.

The course was tough, much draggier than I expected. Glad I didn't change to a 46/14 and kept to my 46/15 setup. Can't believe I forgot my helmet but didn't let it phase me as I set off on my way!  :Cycling

Good experience and certainly getting the TT bug. Looking forward to the 25TT next week!  :biggrin:

Massive thank you to our fantastic Racing Secretary Mick H for all of the support and advice. This would be a much harder journey if not for the pleasure of his company and the wisdom of his expertise. Thanks again Mick, it's all appreciated.  :smile:

Ha ha haaa oh I'd forgotten about that extremely costly cat's eye!!!  :wink:

It was great riding with you today missus, and I hope, based on how close our times were, that you can see that a 27 min 10 is not out of the question for you; in fact there's no doubt in my mind that it's a reachable goal for you on your current setup. 

Keep training Lau, keep riding, and we'll get your TT bike sorted and I assure you that you'll see your times continue to head in the right direction. 

Well done Dave M for the short 26!! I don't suppose Paul Haynes' time had been confirmed when you returned to HQ had it Lau? 

The 25 is going to be very interesting indeed!!! As Mick said, if we average 20mph we'll make a time of 1:15:00. Just done some additional equations.... Average 19mph and that time becomes 1:18:56. Average 21mph and it becomes 1:11:25. In my mind anything less than a 1:18:30 on our first 25 on a road bike is a ruddy good effort!!!  :biggrin: Anything under 1:15:00 is a phenomenal effort!!! 

Archived