Bromsgrove Olympique CC Open 10 K33/10D 30/5/15

Bromsgrove Olympique CC OPEN 10 ride report

My PB for a club '10' is 23.53 set on the K8 in the mid 90's, it was a warm summer evening, I was riding a Italian steel road bike with TT bars and early set of Mavic Cosmic alloy aero wheels!!

and thinking back, I have never actually ridden an Open 10!!

Before today!!

of8z2w.jpg

The car park before a TT is a funny place, skin suited men furiously treading away

on turbo's or rollers, the hollow drone of the rear disc rises to fever pitch, and then with a quick flick of the tyres, there off.

I locate my magic number '94', pin it on, and manage a paltry 15 minutes on the rollers, I try and emulate the intensity of my car park comrades, but just doesn't quite sound the same...

v8hmrs.jpg  

I check my kit, and head off the the start, I'm a tad early, so I ride round the block, still quite early, so off I go again, 5 laps later, I'm late!!  I hoon it to the start line, 15, 14, 13 etc, one of my number pins has fallen out, 9, 8, 7 start Garmin, 4, 3, this is'nt a club 10, you have to clip 'both' feet in, 2, 1,

I can just feel the guys of after me thinking "what the heck...."

I'm outta their like a shot!!

The actuall TT is intense, my heart rate shoots up, and my throat is instantly bone dry, the gear I need is in between the cogs I have, I don't know where I going...

There doesn't seem to be  any one about, have I gone the wrong way?? two men shout something, is that the finish?? Garmin says 7.5 miles, I carry on.

​Fact: Roundabouts and TT's don't mix.

I do finish!!      Garmin says 23.6mph...  av HR 185bpm !!!

I ride the long way back to the carpark, ie lost.

bhziba.jpg

R.Bussell rode 19m 44s

K. Sargent         25m 28s    thats the fastest I've gone in a long time.

Like everyone always says, give me a skin suit, a disc wheel, a pointy hat, some proper hard training, less cakes, I reckon a 23m 52 isn't unrealistic..... 

Archived