Royal Sutton CC - 10TT - 17/05/15

So today Mick Hazlewood, Owen and myself headed out to the K11/10T to go and ride the Royal Sutton CC 10TT.

This was only the second 10 mile TT for both Owen and myself, and being big fans of fixed gears the three of us decided (for better or for worse) to ride the event fixed.

I was going to be the first to leave, departing at 2:07pm, followed by Mick at 3:04pm and finally Owen was off at 3:33pm.

Looking at the start sheet, I had a good rider to chase; Caroline Read, who's best time on a 10 was 32:06. But with that was the knowledge that behind me were two quicker ladies, Lucy Cash and Jackie Hobson. I met one of the ladies, Jackie, at my last TT. She was a timekeeper at that event and she had recently ridden another 10 and got a good time.

So, my goals were this:

1. Beat my last time of 30:25 (set on the K41)

2. Catch and pass the rider who left 1 minute ahead of me

3. Stay in front of Jackie

We met Jackie before I left for the starting line. Mick told her of my goals and she was kind to share with me words of advice and encouragement. Jackie and I rode together to the starting line. 

I absolutely hooned it into the first five miles, keeping my eye on Caroline ahead of me and passing her before the second roundabout which was about 4.5 miles into the course. I gave her some words of encouragement as I passed and settled back into my rhythm. 

However, coming off the second roundabout was a bit of a climb. There was no way I could sit and spin, so I got out of the saddle and tried to climb as quick as I could. I knew I was losing time and was sure that this was going to be my undoing. At the top of the hill I sat back down and luckily for me a tailwind helped get me back up to a quicker cadence.

My chest was burning, my breathing laboured, but I was determined to keep going. I hear a noise, and before I know it Lucy is passing me. She's saying things, words of encouragement I think, but I can't hear her properly over my breathing. My focus is on keeping Lucy in sight for as long as possible. I manage to do so until the last turn. 

I turn the final junction, and a couple stood on the corner of the road offer more encouragement. This spurs me on, even though my legs feel shot, and I push myself that bit more. To my utter dismay, just before I see the finish flag, I hear a very loud 'C'mon Hannah! C'mon, you can do it!' It's Jackie, and I've failed to keep her off my tail. I've done well to hold her off this long I suppose, but I failed at my goal.

Once past the line Jackie and I ride back to HQ together. It's taking all of my energy and concentration not to throw up. By this point I'm convinced that I'll have only shaved a few seconds off of my previous time; if I'm lucky. I'm smashed for nothing, I'm sure. I was in no rush to get back inside to check my time, put it like that.

But, after getting myself sorted and after grabbing a cup of tea I amble over to the board inside the HQ - where I am astonished to see my time.

Results

I have actually got a time of 27:21!!! 3 minutes and 4 seconds off of my last time! To say I was in a state of disbelief is an understatement!

A little later, Mick rolled in, after setting a time of 23:55

Finally, Owen comes in, and Hazlewood Jr had set a fab 24:23!!! 

All in all, we're all very pleased with the results. 

Next Events

Mick H and Laura Lane are riding the Walsall RCC 10TT on the K48/10 on 23/05/15.

Owen will be riding with Mick H and Lee De Gray on the 3up 30TT on the AS/20 on 30/05/15.

I will be riding the Worcester St Johns CC 10TT on the K33/10D on 13/06/15.  

Archived