WMTTS - Event 1 - 11th April 2015

So, today was the day for my first ever time trial. Cut my teeth by riding Event 1 of the Midlands Women's Time Trial Series with Laura Lane. Mick Hazlewood organised us two ladies and gave us everything we needed to have a good ride.

The day started with a considerable amount of rain. By 9am the rain had subsided, but the wind decided to hang around. 11am and we head in two cars to the start point.

Laura signed her sheet first, gaining number 11 and I signed a few minutes later, gaining number 18.

Mick wisely suggested that we ride the course ahead of the race, and it was a great way to become familiar with the course. We also found out what awaited us after the roundabout on the return leg... a headwind that felt like hitting a brick wall. The road surface was draggy, and combined with the headwind we knew it would be a slog.

Undeterred, we headed out to the start and rode our first TT of the year. There was a wide range of different abilities at the TT, from novices like myself to experienced TT riders with all the kit! Despite the wind it was a great experience and it was incredibly motivating to have the support, insights and roadside encouragement from Mickey Rourke.

Results

The results speak for themselves.

Laura smashed it, riding a 29:10 - third fastest female novice on the course!!!! Laura came 14th out of 47 female riders.

I rode a 30:25 - I knew I could have ridden quicker - I think I paced myself a little too well. I pipped in at 25th out of 47 female riders - defo room for improvement but a benchmark for future races.

The fastest female, Liz Powell from Mike Vaughn Cycles set an impressive 24:15. The fastest female novice, Fiona Prew of ProVision, set a time of 27:36.

Full results for both men and women can be found here: http://mntts.org.uk/event-1-results

Ruth Eyles, organiser of the MWTTS, explained that the course was slow but safe, hence the reason for choosing it as the course for 5 of the 7 events in the series.

Photos

gallery_3067_38_117129.jpg gallery_3067_38_2003.jpg gallery_3067_38_107817.jpg gallery_3067_38_17938.jpg gallery_3067_38_99917.jpg

It was a great first TT for both of us. Just the start of the year and set the times for us both to beat!! The pictures are interesting. I've been looking at my position and it needs to be lower. I'd love a go on a TT bike. I might have to take mick up on that bike he's building! Or at least have a go on it. Thank you for you encouraging words Sean :) Im trying my best. I'm really enjoying it again x

Archived