Easter Epic Sportive ride report 5/4/15

Easter Epic Sportive, Ride Report  5/4/15

2ql4ute.jpg 

On the start line, waiting for the flag to drop...

This was my first sportive of the year, and what better than the Easter Epic, an 82 mile loop around Worcestershire. Starting at Holt Heath and going down as far as the Malverns, and back up as far Bewdley. Taking in the Wyche cutting, Ankerdine, Clifton, the Abberleys, and Wynniatts Way, plus lots of other unnamed ascents.

mb7r04.jpg

Gear used, Trek Crockett, 36/48 chain rings, 11/28 cassette, 25mm tubeless tyres (95psi), Garmin.

We set off in a group of about a dozen, the pace steady(ish), this all seemed OK. On the road to Malvern, Liam, the guy next to me, tells me he's a semi pro!! I ride the Wyche cutting at my own pace, enjoying  the view, the group has disintegrated, I roll on, climbing up through Cradley and onto Bringsty common. After a fast descent I heave my bike up Ankerdine, they are serving coffee at the top, but I don't stop. Over Clifton, down to Stanford and back up to Rock.

I fill my bottle at the feed station,

"Has there been many in?"

"3..."

Next up is Abberley and the 25% ramp of Wynniatts Way. with the worst climbs behind me, and not feeling too bad I ride to the finish at Top Barn Farm.

Liam is there, we chat about tough climbs etc.. but I have to ask

"been back long??"

" about 10 mins"

I give myself a High 5 and roll home.

Garmin stats

82 miles, 2250m of ascent, max HR 198, av HR 162

2va128j.jpg                                     301qa79.jpg                                2uy3r4l.jpg

Speedy Kev                                                 Carbon shoes                                    overtaking manoeuvre 

2vvjtdi.jpg

Archived