Club Run Sunday 5th April (Easter Sunday)

Hannah

Morning all,

I just wanted to let everyone know that there will not be an A run (as far as a I know!) as the usual A riders are absent.

Those in the A's that aren't in Majorca enjoying the warmer climates are instead entered into sportives in the UK.... except for me!  :(

I was going to ride with the B's on my fixed, but it occurred to me that as it was Easter Sunday many Saracen riders might be doing things with family and may not ride.

Are there any plans for a B run this Sunday? If so, where are we thinking as a destination? f not, I shall probably head out Worcester way! 

I'm surprised there's no ride report up yet.... the usual suspects must be eating Easter eggs!!!

Here's my spin on the day! A great number of Saracens arrived at the cafe today. I was expecting everyone to be committed to family engagements, but instead it seemed everyone made the effort to ride which was awesome!!!

I would be hard pushed to name everybody that rolled in to Coffee 1 today but I know Sean was taking names. Off the top of my head I know the following rode today:

Laura Lane

John Cartwright

Sean Barker

Phil Carbutt

Dave Mitchell

John Shelley

Chris Kent (who was absolutely full of compliments and praise!)

Kevin Young

Tim Bruton

Mick McClure

Chris Pardoe

Me (obviously)

But there were many more!!! Again, see Sean for a comprehensive list of riders!!!

The B ride was a little late to start, left the Lai Ling at 9:30 as opposed to 9:15, caught up with a large contingent of riders at the Tardebigge checkpoint and a few more later down the line. 

We enjoyed a nice tailwind down to Pershore at a good pace. The temp was good. No overshoes, summer mitts, no buff.... felt like a glorious day for a ride. We saw so many cyclists out enjoying the Easter weekend, and in the last stretch to Pershore a small group went past us. There were mutters of a sprint to the cafe, and while some of us were game it seemed inappropriate to play silly buggers....

... at least on the way to the cafe...

... unfortunately the same can't be said for the ride home....

... It seems you can take the girl out of the A's... but you can take A's out of the girl....

First climb on the return ride, and just as someone says "This is a tough climb on a fixed..." I get out of the saddle and hoon it past the entire pack. This little manoeuvre was met with a number of (loud!) comments and the attack was soon brought back in line by the incredibly quick Kevin Young. A certain Mr Mitchell was quick to take his revenge, telling us two rogues that it was right at a junction, allowing us to get so far down the road and then yelled "left!"

Taking my place in the naughty spot at the back of the group, I kept my head down and kept my feet turning. I quietly worked my way back through the pack, creeping slowly towards the front.  

Phil and Dave peeled off and rode their own route home, and I knew I could be mischievous again! If only my legs were playing ball.... riding into Bradley Green I start to envy those with a freewheel. Feeling the effects of the headwind I start to recall the last time I rode this kind of distance on my fixed... or even on a single speed. It must be three weeks at least; perhaps my little digs earlier in the ride were not such a wise idea.

With that said, I find as we ride towards the pick up spot in Tardebigge my legs know home is near, and start to get geared up for a wind up. After sitting on Tim Bruton's wheel for a while, I slip one spot further in the pack, and get on the wheel of John Shelley, who was riding up front with Chris Pardoe. My legs spin quicker and quicker, and with the T junction almost in sight I put power into the peddles and go to overtake John.

This second naughty attack was met by a comment from Chris Pardoe, something along the lines of 'bloody kids misbehaving' and John Shelley, clearly unimpressed with my antics, puts a firm hand on arm putting me in my place.

Laughing my head off and acknowledging that I'm being a tad naughty, John waves me through. I turn right and then left and head back towards Blackwell, on the front, feeling good. Laura Lane rolls up besides me, asks which way I'm heading, and we realise we're both good for a burn up back to Blackwell. I know Laura and Tim were in the group, but I have no idea who was remaining. My focus was giving it hell for the last couple of miles, and with Laura at my side us two girls were more than happy to do a turn on the front and burn it up.

We storm into Blackwell, parting company by the golf course. I looked at Lau before we parted ways and could see we had both worked hard and were probably both as red as each other! Tim and I chuckle about the tempo of the last couple of mile, maintaining a good pace on the last leg home. I roll onto the drive, breathing hard, grinning inanely, thinking that there is absolutely nothing I would rather do on a Sunday than ride with such great company.

I am so lucky and so grateful to be part of such a great club. Thanks for a great day guys and girls! :)

Great report Hanah and a great day's riding and as always great company

Mental fatigue got the better of me on the return trip, been a difficult few weeks for me and it took its toll towards the end. Chris Kent like the gentleman he is came back for me and nursed me home. 

The complete list of riders is as follows

Laura Lane

John Cartwright

Sean Barker

Phil Carbutt

Dave Mitchell

John Shelley

Chris Kent

Kevin Young

Tim Brueton

Mick McClure

Chris Pardoe

Hannah Smith

Pete Cooper

Andrew Ingham

Chris Poole

John Poole

Club run points table updated :)

Thanks Sean, really enjoyed my mischievous self!

I'm sorry to hear about the fatigue setting in :( hope you feel more like yourself very soon dude. Kenty is a legend for coming back for you, Tim did ask where he had gone!

Hope you all have a fab Monday! Our men in Majorca come home today!!!  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Great to be back in the saddle again good to meet the club at the cafe.

Lots of wheels to follow on the way home.

Shoulder improving but still uncomfortable but the whole of the body gave up 

climbing back up the side of the Lickeys.

Nice to see Laura's got her legs back in action shooting of up the road to finish. 

Looking at the length of  Hannah's report she must have had a relaxing afternoon while 

waiting  for Ed to cook the dinner!!

Still back to looking after Owen's needs from today.

While the cats away Chris... :-p (to be fair, Ed's roast dinner yesterday was both amazing and much needed!)

Great to see you out yesterday, hope that shoulder gets better soon!

It was great riding with Lau yesterday, can't wait for our first TT together next Saturday!

Right, can't type, I have a home to spruce up and a dinner to cook!!!  :wub:  :biggrin:

Another great Saracen day-out!

Great to see Chris in action again & other late additions John P, Kevin Y and Marcus Walker @ the cafe'.

The added bonus of two of our finest ladies Laura & Hannah for company is always guaranteed to "brighten-up" even the darkest of days!!!

Archived