A & B Runs Sunday 18th January

Sean Barker

Pat,ken,Mike h,Chris k, tony,

Ann and John shelley and ivor.

All turned up at the cafe and each qualify

For one point each towards the new clubrun trophy.

A very enjoyable couple of hours.

Sean might be minus two points for non attendance

Bye the way who is doing the counting?

Sorry Owen and I missed you guys this morning, we instead opted for a lazy lie in and a lunchtime ride together..... So do Owen and I qualify for points for being brave/daft enough for riding today?

We took a very careful ride out to the Jinney Ring, leaving Blackwell at around 1:30pm to be on the safe side. But, despite our cautious approach we hit several areas of treacherously icy tarmac, the first patch nearly took O off of his bike but instead had me. A small bump but not enough to dissuade us from riding as planned.... I'm glad we persisted too! 

En route to the Jinney Ring I caught sight of two fellows with a falcon in a field. They were kind enough to come over and have a chat with us while Owen and I gawped at the impressive sight of a bird of prey stood just five feet away. Not every Sunday you see something like that that's for sure!

We bumped into Martin Round and his son in the Jinney Ring. They were having a cafe stop on their 80+ mile bike ride from Oxford to Kinver (crazy business!). Martin recalled racing against Paul and Phil Carbutt, and he recalls hearing Mickey Rourke's name too. 

When we left the Jinney Ring we were immediately hit with a sprinkling of rain, which turned into a heavy shower, which turned into snow by the time we were in Bromsgrove. Still, we had a fun ride with lots of laughs and smiles. 

We did our best to keep other cyclists safe by making them aware of icy areas we encountered. :) 

Blimey, Martin Round, another name from the dim and distant past.

I could hardly stand up on the pavement outside my house this morning and there was still black ice on sheltered tarmac when I got home. We did see a small number of less cautious folk out on road bikes, but it was definitely NOT the day for heroics. Some of us don't bounce like we used to, Hannah :ph34r:

Sean might be minus two points for non attendance

Bye the way who is doing the counting?

Sorry guys but my daughter made an unexpected visit and we went into town to have lunch and watch a movie.

Actually bumped into Pete Cooper there.

As for points, I'm keeping score and you will only qualify today if you got to the cafe on a bike :)

Sorry guys but my daughter made an unexpected visit and we went into town to have lunch and watch a movie.

Actually bumped into Pete Cooper there.

As for points, I'm keeping score and you will only qualify today if you got to the cafe on a bike :)

Owen and I got to a cafe today on a bike.... :happy:  

Blimey, Martin Round, another name from the dim and distant past.

I could hardly stand up on the pavement outside my house this morning and there was still black ice on sheltered tarmac when I got home. We did see a small number of less cautious folk out on road bikes, but it was definitely NOT the day for heroics. Some of us don't bounce like we used to, Hannah :ph34r:

Wow, I think Martin would be pleased to know he has been remembered, he was convinced he wouldn't be! :)

On main roads it wasn't too bad, but on quieter lanes it was dicey. Good communication between O and I and a cautious approach at all times kept is out of harms way... although knowing we have a bit of bounce in us certainly helps!

Just for the purposes of clarification the following criteria will be used for attaining a club run point

You have to arrive at the designated café by bicycle. If the A & B runs have different cafes then either will count. If you arrive independently you still qualify for a point.

If the club ride is called off and we decide to meet at a local café then this does not count towards a club run point.

Also on club Audax days there will not be an official club run but points will be awarded for riding the club Audax.

Last week’s club run to Cobhouse Fisheries was the first and only club run this year as far as attaining points. 

Archived