Montgomery Madness Audax

I rode it yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it, although the challenging conditions made it slow going at times. From time to time I stopped to take in some breathtaking views, something I couldn’t really do on the move as my eyes were trained on the road and the constant threat of snow and black ice.
Some nice climbs, the White grit was enjoyable and relatively ice free but the Stiperstones were pretty much covered in ice and snow and as for the Long Mynd, it was lost under a few feet of snow, the challenge there was keeping track of where the road was in the failing light. There was really nothing to do over that section but to carry my bike on my shoulder and traipse through the snow that stretched from Brink Wood to Stretton 
I was really sorry I hadn't taken my mountain bike

montgomery1.jpg
It was obvious early doors that this was going to be a tough one

montgomery2.jpg
It didn't get any easier

montgomery3.jpg
Eerily beautiful but not a day for setting fast times

montgomery4.jpg
The climb up the Kerry Ridgeway was a challenge

montgomery5.jpg
And the descent was not for the fainthearted

montgomery6.jpg
I thought that was the road ahead through the Long Mynd but in actual fact that is it to the left buried under snow

montgomery7.jpg
Mmm interesting sign

montgomery8.jpg
The road is under there somehere

montgomery9.jpg
I was hoping that the top of those poles that showed where the road was would stay uncovered but alas they were soon to disappear but fortunately my gps showed me that I was on top of the road, it was a long slog over the Long Mynd but Stretton was a sweet sight as darkness fell

Total time ridden 13 hours and 50 minutes

Sean, some stunning pictures there, that was an achievement completing the course.  Skis could have been helpful for some parts of the ride by the look of things. 

I know you are a bit crazy with some of your past exploits, but I would have thought waiting for the weather to improve might have been an idea.

Did you know of the conditions on the roads? or did you just stumble into them......Lack of planning??

“A bit crazy”?

That’s what I can an understatement! lolblue.gif

Actually I was quite surprised by the conditions, had I have known what I was up against I would have waited a month or so.

I have never been in that neck of the woods before and had no idea how elevated and exposed it was.

Well done Sean, epic ride over some very tough roads in what looked like very severe conditions.

I'm so glad to see you are taking things easier this year on your doctors orders !!!. 

He only said I could no longer cycle across continents averaging 70+ miles a day for months on end, he never said anything about cycling 200km in thick ice and snow. lolblue.gif

Archived