Dave Evans

TonyS

I have just been informed that Dave Evans, who I believe was an ex Saracen member, died over the Christmas period. He ran the Blind School bike shop in the 80's and 90's, with Trevor Bull as his mechanic. Unfortunately I have no further information.

Update 21st Feb :

Dave's funeral will take place on Weds 4th Feb at 12.30 at Hall Green (see post lower down as well)

It is with great sadness that I can confirm and add further to Tony's initial post.

Dave worked for Tommy Godwin prior to, during (whilst on leave) and for a short time after a full Royal Navy career;

from which he retired as a Chief Petty Officer.

He was a very special guy to whom I became very close over some years during and after his Saracen membership, which I

believe would have been late 70's through the 80's.

His initial post service venture was Rednal Cycles on Bristol Road South which never really flourished if my memory is

correct as Dave was far too nice a guy & gentleman to have been a successful businessman!!!

He subsequently went to work for the R.N.I.B. where he ran the Cycle Surgery in Wood Lane Harbourne and Trevor Bull went

to work with him.

Dave was always a "Great Big Guy" both physically and metaphorically who like myself in more recent years struggled on thegradients, but never grumbled about struggling up them.

He passed away suddenly and i understand unexpectedly on Tuesday the 30th.

A lovely special man, who i never heard speak ill of anyone and whom i was indeed privileged to have known & will never forget!!!!

Very Sad News indeed to start the New Year

I will update when any further details and funeral service arrangements are known.

Thanks for the extra info, Chris, unfortunately I had only a third hand report this evening. I only knew Dave superficially but from what I did know of him I can confirm Chris's comments on his friendliness and desire to be helpful. I'd forgotten he worked at Rednal cycles, I do know he was highly thought of at the cycle surgery.

• 3 weeks later...

Steve Tonry has just informed me that Dave's funeral will take place on Weds 4th Feb at 12.30 at Hall Green.

We assume this to be Robin Hood crematorium but Alison couldn’t confirm this, although we can’t think that it would be anywhere other than the crem.

If you know anyone outside the Saracen who may have known Dave, please you would pass on this information

Archived