An email to all Saracens from Marie Briggs

Saracen RC Administrator

I received the following email today from Marie Briggs

Here’s a couple of photos for you.  The jersey is the yellow jersey, but the race was held at Bagshot because of adverse weather in Belgium at the time. I have donated his National Championship jersey and this jersey to the National Cycling Museum in Llandridod Wells.  Also his BCF blazer badge.  Apparently they hadn’t got anything about Cyclo-cross.  I also sent them a copy of an article from the TV Grandstand book of Sport, when you think in the same book Fausto Coppi is a few pages away, also Jack Brabham to name but a few.  I will sort the book out and send you photo copies of the pages about David. 

I was very touched to be asked to attend the reunion, it was very kind of you all.  It was lovely to see all the “old” faces, and go down memory lane with all the one’s I spoke to.  I’m sure David was with us all in spirit – hopefully reliving all the “good old days”

Many thanks again for such a wonderful evening, and may I wish you all a long and eventful (as in racing etc) future. 

Best wishes to you all.    Marie.

20zyyis.jpg

zlv9z.jpg

Cafe den Engel, there's a name from the past. Owned and run by Albert Beurick who looked after many amateur and budding Pro riders in the 1950s & 1960s, including Tom Simpson, Graham Webb, and of course young Mr. Briggs. I met Albert when I stayed in the Velotel Tom Simpson in 1969, en route to Germany with an Archer Road Club team. A larger than life character who did such a lot to help the Brits gain their feet (or pedals) on the continent.

Thank you Marie for such a nice email and a wonderful photo.

Archived