Virus News A page for comments and reports.

ChrisP

As John Shelley has already mentioned, meeting for club runs will

stop until further notice. 

I have just completed my first Social Distancing ride and think i've seen more solo 

riders out than ever. Some in shorts, not ready for that yet.

What a great day for biking. Sun out a little warmer a touch of spring in the air

The hedgerows are starting to turn green and i heard the first Skylark singing

high in the sky above Hartlebury.

It was like a travel back in time, no shops open, not many cars about, pubs closed.

No Sunday luncher's rushing to pass you on the way out or back from pub.

This is how Sunday riding used to be. Only drawback I will have to start making my

toasted marmalade sandwiches to take with me.

So keep safe, keep healthy and keep riding.

Keep in touch.

See you ASAP.

Chris P

Chairman

Evening manage my 2nd Social Distancing ride today.

Didn't do as as many miles as Roger but i know my left from my right.

Not to difficult getting out with weather like today, and how nice to ride on quiet roads.

Just need the sun to stay out for a few months.

Keep safe and happy cycling.

Le Guide 

18 hours ago, rovi said:

Yes grass was cut today

Tulips just breaking into colour

A noisy perisher down the road with power tool going

I could hardly hear my petrol mower

Here’s one for you....

what is the difference between a maze and a labarynth ?

Although both maze and labyrinth depict a complex and confusing series of pathways, the two are different. A maze is a complex, branching (multicursal) puzzle that includes choices of path and direction, while a labyrinth is unicursal, i.e., has only a single, non-branching path, which leads to the centre.

Thought that up by myself ....honest!!!!!!!
Perhaps you can explain the explanation to me!

Maybe an early warning of things soon to be.

1. A neighbour of ours took her dog to the papershop this morning. She was stopped by the police and asked if her journey was really necessary, then was told to go straight home (without passing go etc). Taking dog for walk was not an excuse. Now this may be over policing, or it may be that she's been noticed making regular trips to shops in support of us old'uns who are not advised to go shopping. However... 

2. Last Wednesday I went for short ride around the lanes and saw a police car parked up in a field entrance. I also saw a few single and pairs of walkers, some single and a few small sets of cyclists, some presumably same household (older couples or with children), others fairly obviously not. Now the policeman might have been having a break, might have been looking for ne'er do well young car racers, or may have been keeping an eye out for roving packs of rabid bike riders. 

Conclusion : if some people (not Saracen members of course) continue to ignore advice, or try to 'stretch the envelope', we may all finish up being confined to within our immediate residential area. That's the early warning.

Stay safe and keep well, don't do anything you shouldn't. Turbo is set up here and I suspect I may be using it a lot more. 

I was tinkering in my garage last week, looking at my old steel racing bike and I thought it would be nice to get it out again.  It is a bit heavy but I haven’t got to keep up with anyone at the moment, obviously, so it wouldn’t matter.  After having a closer look 👀 I was thinking, those sprockets look a bit on the small side.  So, on t’internet, I found a company ( Tweets cycles ) that sells 7 speed blocks ( for all you young ones, a block is like a cassette, but with a free wheel built into it ) and they had got one with a 28 tooth bottom sprocket.  Ordered the block, and a chain to go with it ( couldn’t believe how cheap a 7 speed chain is, they must be ripping us off for 10 and 11 speed ones ) and some handlebar tape.

The parcel came yesterday, so off I went into the garage with it, and set about sorting out the bike.  First, I fitted the block and chain, that all worked nicely.  Next take off the old handlebar tape, by Jove I said to myself ( or words to that effect ) it didn’t want to come off, bit at a time I had to scrape it off with a penknife, it took about an hour, it had been on for years.  Next, I raised the the bars and the brake levers a little to make it more old man friendly. Then put on the new tape.CFBD5BB1-813B-4585-9837-9D29AA20D899.thumb.jpeg.79cd2bfc622144f99b25d08a13d0661d.jpeg

Went out on it today, and it seems to go quite well, went out past Harris Brush and up the hill to Hanbury Woods.  By Jove ( again ) that hill is much bigger than it used to be, my new 28 tooth sprocket came in very handy.  The rest of the ride was quite uneventful, nice to be out on quieter roads, and nice to be out on old faithful again, especially now that the the position is more comfortable.  Me and that bike have done a lot of miles together.  Well, keep fit, and hope to see you soon.  🚲

Looks very good John almost like new . The garage door looks good too have you painted it recently ?

Solo riding what fun it is !! Find it hard to motivate myself to do more than 30 miles no wheel to follow and no John to fix my punctures ( I seem to get a few on my winter bike ) 

Went out Monday just coming up that little hill towards TB rear puncture bloody hell I thought even after my lessons from John and Philpott and the card I carry with step by step instructions on I still can't get the last part of the tyre on . Plus being on the back wheel never can get it back on as that chain gets in the way and never sits right !!! (hopeless I know ) . So I rang international rescue and Mark my husband came to get me.

I did  fix the puncture myself found the piece of Flint in the tyre but had to get Mark to get the last part of the tyre on but couldn't get the wheel back in  luckily Kevin Rogers was about . Kev suggested I changed both tyres as they have wire in them apparently , on the bike when I bought it which is probably why I can't get them on . So he put my 2 new tyres on for me which hopefully after some thumb exercises I will get fully back on.

Been out today no problems thank goodness. Saw loads out luckily it wasn't too windy so had a good ride .

Ivor my tulips are looking good.

Chris P good one here goes ( The letters on the pictures and questions don't match no G on the pictures which then puts I and J different on the questions ) All in my neck of the woods and I have been most of them !!!

A. The Sun Romsley and Blue Bird Toffee

B. You're in Clent looking over towards Malvern I think

C. The Vine Clent (a motley bunch is that Mr Shelley on the right ? )

D. The Fountain Clent

E. The Frech Hen Clent ( sells a lovely half of 1664 larger ) Orginal name The Woodman

F. Anckor Caunsall

H (G) The Old Ticket Office new name The Tap House ( not sure on this one )

I (H) The Lock Wolverley

J (I) Swan Chaddesley Corbett

The pub at the bottom of Day House Bank which is now a house was The Manchester Inn.

I reckon  you did 47.5 miles .

Looking forward to next weeks pub quiz 😝