Tardebigge Thurs 9th

Mick Hazlewood

Struggled to Tardebigge in !Terrible! weather. Pedalling downhill in to the wind and hardly moving.

About 5/6 people. Off we set. Two turned back in the first 10mins. I got dropped in the first 30mins. Saw the C ride riding the opposite way home.

The guy who was with me said something. In the the torrential weather I thought it was a toilet stop. No he had gone home.

Pushed on through water so heavy I could hardly see in front of me. My wheels were submerged halfway up to the axle. Stuck my head down out of the weather and pushed steadily. As it cleared I made out the Radford Arms. However, the side winds were scary. Trying to stay on the drops below the hedges.

Made it to Alcester (HAD). No one there. Rode to the other Alcester. No one there.

Quite nice autumn day now so started to ride home. Turned at the Huff Cap and down it came again! Riding uphill, scary winds, heavy rain in to the wind. Got to Ullenhall and felt defeated. Beginning to wonder if I would survive the day. All I could think was rescue Vehicle.

Caffeine stinger & Water and pushed on. Cars looking at me as if i were a crazy woman.

Not sure what happened next, very low visibility.

God was I glad to be home! My daughter had baked me a cake. Didn't touch the sides.

Up there with the worst rides of my life.

Where was Ivor?

Good on you Kay, we went through Tardebigge at 9.30 with very dark clouds behind us and sunny

sky in front of us so we carried on going more or less the same route as yourself. Got to within 5

mile of home and the heavens opened, thunder lightening the works so dived under a tree for some

shelter, five minutes later when it subsided a bit we took off for the home run.

Not to soaked, not to cold but feeling pretty lucky with our ride. Could have been a lot worse.

A challenging  ride, Big gear Bob and I were the last ones standing. The B group members are made of  stern stuff. Well trained by Ivor. It was too wet and windy to turn round and see who was with us.  We pushed along and did a none stopper, never stopped raining, but the wind did blow us home. 

The BBC weather forecast at 9am said occasional showers during the morning, more persistent  from  midday. Wrong AGAIN !, it was persistent from 10am with a slight easing after midday for a short period.  As Kay said, 7 in the AB group and 3 in the c group started from Tardebigge, perhaps we were the optimistic ones, others may say the idiots. but we did have the benefit of a ride, albeit a wet and windy one. I guarantee we will have worse to come during the winter months, when it will be more difficult to stay upright on the bike.

It was raining that hard, it brought a smile to my face :-) 

I thought to myself, this is why I do cycling! 

I went up the Lenches and was depressed because the sun was out 

But from Studley back to the Man on the Moon... It absolutely threw it down

and the smile returned :-)

B G Bob

It was raining that hard, it brought a smile to my face :-) 

I thought to myself, this is why I do cycling! 

I went up the Lenches and was depressed because the sun was out 

But from Studley back to the Man on the Moon... It absolutely threw it down

and the smile returned :-)

B G Bob

Bob you are now certified as mad and qualify for The Beacon Little Mountain Time trial or a hill climb of your choice

uoq60.gif

Archived