Eddie Smith 1932-2019

ChrisP

It is with deep sadness that I have to announce the death of Eddie

one of the founder members of the club.

He was recently diagnosed with motor neurone disease and passed away last night.

Our thoughts go out to Mavis, their girls Susan, Debbie and Caroline and the rest of the family.

As our Chairman for many years he will be deeply missed.

With deepest sympathy,

Chris and Hilary.

That's very sad news and I echo Chris & Hilary's thoughts for Mavis and family.

Sarashell told me only last Tuesday that Eddie was ill, but it's still a shock that he's gone so quickly.

I hadn't seen Eddie for some time, but I had many dealings with him over a period of at almost 50 years,  as an event organiser, timekeeper, District Committee rep and in more recent years as a Saracen member. His contribution to national and local Time Trialling, and above all to the Saracen Road Club, cannot be overstated. RIP Eddie

Owen and I are incredibly saddened to hear of Eddie's passing, and our thoughts are with Mavis and the family. 

As younger members, we can honestly say that Eddie was an unforgettable character. He was incredibly sharp, highly intelligent, witty, and attentive to even the smallest minutiae of details. A man who appreciated procedure, protocol and all things proper. He had a presence in any and all rooms he was in. 

He will be missed dearly, even by younger members that did not know him for as long a time as other members here.  

I am deeply saddened to hear of Eddie's passing. Having sat alongside him for a couple of years on the committee and witnessing his drive, enthusiasm and utter devotion to the club and how he led from the front in resurrecting the Saracen from its slumber was inspiring. 

We all owe him a debt of gratitude. 

A special man and truly irreplaceable. 

My thoughts like all of us go out to Mavis and family at this difficult time 

Ann and I are very sad to hear the news about Eddie, he kept the Saracen going through the good times and the bad times, and then back to the good times again.  The club was only just ticking over twenty years ago when we had the fiftieth anniversary, but after that Eddie got things up and running again, and the club got back to what it is today.  Eddie had a lot of other interests as well, mainly with things  mechanical, he could always be found in the garage, tinckering with something or other.  But we will always remember him mainly for the club.  The Saracen will never be quite the same again. R.I.P. Eddie

The news of Eddie is very sad. I met him in the early fifties when I joined the Saracen. He was a man that you automatically respected. His devotion to the club was beyond doubt. May I give my condolences to Mavis and the family at this very sad time.

Terry Dunsby