Saracen Century Audax (with photos)

What a day!

The weather was perfect, the course and event were well received. The feedback was very positive with some much appreciated constructive criticism of where things could be improved.

The most common comment apart from how much people enjoyed the course was “We’ll be back for the next one”

All in all I think we can be satisfied with this our inaugural Audax event.

Special thanks must go to Edwina, Hillary and Paula for taking care of the registrations at the start/finish point and to Ivor for taking care of the first control point in Cleobury Mortimer and Julie for all her support throughout this venture

Also I have to mention the Saracen riders who marshalled sections of the field throughout and special mention to Chris Pardoe who at one point cycled back to the start to guide the back markers.

Below are a few snaps I took at the base but Chris P has a small selection taken out on the course that I’m sure he’ll post up later.

2zr4b4i.jpg

118du7a.jpg

5mjzuu.jpg

b7ysm1.jpg

ftlibp.jpg

Dear All:-

A Very Special Personal Thank-You to Sean, the ladies Paula, Hilary and Edwina, Ivor, Malcolm & Diane, Julie & her staff for all their work, help, support and making this EVENT happen at all!!!

Without them particularly the foremost it certainly would not have done and the fact that it was such a memorable day & event was in no small part due to the assistance afforded to Sean by them.

Also many thanks to my fellow riders & club-mates, particularly my sub-group associates:- Ken, Chris, John, Ken, Pete, Hannah and Tim for their company, steady "mature pace" and making what was a good day GREAT !!!!!  

Let me show you how to do it.

i5og3m.jpg

All down hill on the other side.

2z9lmaf.jpg

This is how you do it.

2nlfl0k.jpg

Should have come on the all new electric machine.

5o9q50.jpg

Rider in disguide.

vq6rzt.jpg

Shouldn't have had that last sausage.

wwj02r.jpg

Not talking now but still managed a smile little poser.

wlp079.jpg

Congratulations to all those who took part ,but a very big thank you to all the helpers. Well done. At Cleobury, I was amazed and proud to see so many Saracen riders,a veritable sea of blue. We used to be very pleased to get 12 riders on a Sunday club run in the 50s.

I also was wearing the club colours.

I rode back home to Bewdley and as I was getting off the bike by the river,I overheard another cyclist say to his mate"Not another Saracen rider, they are everywhere". Great , well done everybody.

Here are some facts about the event

There were 54 entrants

There were 5 DNS

There were 2 DNF

And 47 finishers (below is the full list)

Paul Beebee

Roger Birch

Suzanne Byrne

Phil Carbutt

John Cartwright

Peter Cooper

Tim Crumpton

Erica Davis

Peter Davis

James Duggan

Terry Dwyer

Mike Eades

Rob Gill

Brian Goldsmith

Peter Goodings

Ken Haddon

Mick Hazlewod

Owen Hazlewood

David Horne

Tom Hudson

Richard Hurley

Chris Kent

Richard Langford

Trevor Lill

Edward McCormack

Jamie McLeod

Paul Milsom

Amanda Mitchell

David Mitchell

Chris Pardoe

Vlad Peniv

Alan Philpot

Robert Pitt

Nick Price

Kevin Sargent

David Sexton

Ruth Sexton

John Shelly

Jim Smallman

Hannah Smith

Janet Steel

Susan Tweddell

William Tweddell

Graham Varney

Stuart Vernan

Ian Williams

Kevin Young

Another landmark day in the Saracen Road Clubs recovery.  Most has been said already, but again tremendous work by Sean Barker in organising the event and his team of supporters who were so efficient and still had a smile at the end of a long day.  Julie and her staff provided us with an ideal base and gave us excellent service as ever. ( I love hers buns!) 

Great turnout by fellow members helping the club move forward by showing the colours.

Mentioned in Despatches - Ivor, Malcom and Diane at Cleobury Mortimer. Mavis and Eddie at Droitwich. 

177czp.gif

Firstly, Sean, thank you for organising such an awesome event and for choosing a route that challenged us all!!! :)

Chris P you are an absolute sod!!! But thank you for helping me on the last leg home! Kenty it was a pleasure riding with you, Ken, Chris and the rest of the chaps.

And Dave that caption is ruddy awesome!!!!

So proud to be a member of such an awesome club :)

Archived