Sunday 17th August. (with photos)

Mick Hazlewood

Mick, If you are going to the Chicken Farm what time will you arrive? Alan.

I would guess the A's will arrive 11.30 ish and the B's normally arrive beforehand to warm our seats for us, make a mess ( crumbs on

the floor,spill tea and jam all over the tables ). We are a lot more organised in as much as we have our Mandy with us to look out for

us and make sure we behave ourselves.

Hope to see you tomorrow Alan.

A wind assisted run down to the Chicken Shack expecting to get ambushed at any moment by the 'A' mob. Anyhow made it there OK only to find Ivor (no mates) with his group of two.  Soon after getting seated the peace was shattered by the arrival of Rent-a-Crowd, you know, the ones you would not want to be behind in a queue , some still gasping for breath. There were that many they had to spill out into the garden to get seated.  Once the bacon started flowing they quietened down and enjoyed a great break.

Just before the off there were mutterings of 'a steady run back' and 'I am to young to die'.  Having special powers enabling us to see into the future, M and I turned the opposite way to the group when they left the cafe and managed to escape the oncoming torture only to puncture a couple of minutes later. Just got the wheel back in when Derek B caught up with us having left the cafe late. He too possesses the same powers as us. Steady run back into the warm wind just arriving home as the heavens opened. Another great turnout today with some more new faces.  

In amongst the chickens today were Mandy, Hannah, Ivor, Allan P, Andy H, Mike H, Owen H, Chiris K, Chris P, Ken, Kev, John C, John S, John P, Derek B ( marked absent but changed to late) myself and welcome guests Lee D, Oliver, Speedy Kev, Mark F, Richard K.

14nhdhc.jpg

Ken is sure he got there on a bike but which one is it....................

As the pack moved away towards home from the cafe it was soon apparent that the wind was

going to make the journey home quite tough. As muscles were flexed and a few bids were made

to break away from the well drilled peloton there were cracks beginning to show within the group.

AndyH and AllanP who joined us at the cafe having made there own way there could see things

were going to kick off so decided to say farewell and take a different route back.Good move!.

Instead of riders going off the front the weaker riders were fading off the back and beginning to

loose the will to live but in true Saracen tradition they were not abandoned.

Guest rider Olly faded away at Astwood Back and Richard K dropped back to accompany him

home. Mark was also showing signs of weakness on the hills and also started to drift backwards.

I stopped with Mark and once the Peloton disappeared from sight we just pressed on at a steady

pace back to Bromsgrove. When I left him at the end of his road he said he will be out soon for

another great ride out, well I think that's what he said.

Again another great turnout today and as always great company and a good cafe stop.

Andy and I were pleased to meet the runs at the Chicken Shack, we had not been there before, and we managed to order our food just before the mob arrived. I did get a blank stare when I asked for Cyclist toast.

On the ride home we split from the group at Pebworth turning into the strong wind, back through Bideford and then struggled up the Dunnington Drag. At one point my computer displayed 4 mph. We did comment on what a hard ride home the group would have, knowing how far some of them had to go.

Dave and Mandy, you were waved to by my wife Chris and Tony as you rode towards Flyford Flavel.

Well it looks as though Ivor -no mates is about right.

Once I got dropped outside Welford i rode home solo.

Don'know what the fuss was about the wind,

it was just hard...

I knew i should have gone home with Mandy and Dave.

mutter...mutter..moan...moan...chunter...chunter...

Don't believe what Ivor said the only reason Ken and I manage to catch him just before Studley

was because he was taking a gentlemen's stop. I'm sure he would have given Dave & Mandy a hard time before nipping of home.

Anyway another good day out after a cool dull start.

Well done to Mark for sticking at it. It does get easier Honest.

9usqc9.jpg  2vv6wzt.jpg30bkylt.jpg2i6cb3n.jpg2801w2d.jpg

Not a bad turnout again.

A wind assisted run down to the Chicken Shack expecting to get ambushed at any moment by the 'A' mob. Anyhow made it there OK only to find Ivor (no mates) with his group of two.  Soon after getting seated the peace was shattered by the arrival of Rent-a-Crowd, you know, the ones you would not want to be behind in a queue , some still gasping for breath. There were that many they had to spill out into the garden to get seated.  Once the bacon started flowing they quietened down and enjoyed a great break.

Just before the off there were mutterings of 'a steady run back' and 'I am to young to die'.  Having special powers enabling us to see into the future, M and I turned the opposite way to the group when they left the cafe and managed to escape the oncoming torture only to puncture a couple of minutes later. Just got the wheel back in when Derek B caught up with us having left the cafe late. He too possesses the same powers as us. Steady run back into the warm wind just arriving home as the heavens opened. Another great turnout today with some more new faces.  

In amongst the chickens today were Mandy, Hannah, Ivor, Allan P, Andy H, Mike H, Owen H, Chiris K, Chris P, Ken, Kev, John C, John S, John P, Derek B ( marked absent but changed to late) myself and welcome guests Lee D, Oliver, Speedy Kev, Mark F, Richard K.

14nhdhc.jpg

Ken is sure he got there on a bike but which one is it....................

That's a brilliant photo.

Dave I have added to your album, which also means it appears on the front page too :)

Archived