Triathlon National Championships

The National Triathlon Champs was held today 21st June at beautiful Rutland water. The weather was amazing although as is typical for Rutland we awoke to a brisker wind than expected. Lovely sunshine and blue skies though and fairly calm water on the lake. Well that's the good bit! I can honestly say this was the worst race experience I have ever had. I had a lovely 1500m swim actually quite enjoyed it but had so many mechanical problems with the bike it was unbelievable. The most ridiculous sight ever must have been me today running up a mile steep hill pushing my stupid bike... Fine on the flat, fine on descents, wheel locked solid on any climb. And there are 3. And they are long! So close to pulling out but dismounted on each hill and ran up the blady things. Needless to say by the time I got off the 42k bike and onto the 10k run my legs were pretty shot! Terrible split times and not the race I had hoped for at all but I did manage to win my age group so that makes me a National champion. Still gutted though but it's just made me more determined for the next tri when hopefully I will have my bike/ wheel sorted!! Hope you've all had better luck with your TTs this weekend!

Slow twitch forum seems to have a few experiences of this on this bike. Solution apparently could be a better skewer so will try the one that has been recommended and they say to tighten it more than normal. Could be going back to my road bike if that doesn't work! Would have been better off on my winter hack today!!

That was a truly impressive performance Sam. When everything seems to be going against you and you still stay focussed and keep positive. Those are the attributes of a person truly deserving of the utmost respect and admiration.

You never cease to amaze and inspire me.  

Ha it ain't over til the fat lady sings ?!?! :-) NO comments please! ;-) I get qualified for European champs next year and world champs but can't afford to go to worlds. Europeans may be poss next year though. That and a national champs gold medal which I have never achieved before. Bronze and silver but never gold. Been speaking to few people about my bike and apparently it's not unheard of with this design. Just not quite sure how to get it right so it never happens again. Need to have a tinker and hammer some hills after amendments to make sure it's ok!! Need the quads to recover before i can do that though :-)

Archived