trip to Alps

Just got back from a week cycling in the French Alps at King of the mountains in river d'ornon which I would highly recommend, the hosts Guy and Helen were very nice and the food was excellent and very plentiful (I even managed to gain weight after 10,000m of climbing!)

I have included some pics below:

24pkjfl.jpg

View going up the Col du Glandon

16ieal4.jpg

Going down the Col de Sarenne

1z4iyp2.jpg

The podium for our Alp d'huez climb

2nld9it.jpg

The peloton coming into La Mure on stage 5 of the criterium du dauphine - we cycled over 40km from where we stayed to watch the race

34f1c1j.jpg

Froome collecting the yellow

264oynm.jpg

Towards the top of col du Galibier.  

A thanks to Chris P for advising me to purchase the Gilet as it proved very useful on the descents and as an extra layer 30mins after this pic was taken when a storm got us on top of the Galibier (2600m). Cafe owners below the Col provided us with bath robes to warm up in!

1dzlld.jpg

Looking down on Bourg d'oisans

All in all a great trip.

Great to see the pics John. Some of the club were out there two years ago but we did not have any kit to show off.  Never seen a Saracen jersey in the Alps before. Looking forward to catching you on the next run to compare notes.

There have been mutterings of a club trip to France next year!

3325buo.jpg                                         2r4n85e.jpg   

28clvsh.jpg

2wewdau.jpg                1tsns7.jpg   

25gz8.jpg

357n8rb.jpg     

I did not get the one at the top of the Galibier due to not having enough feeling in my hands to get the camera out and brave the hail!
If you do organise a trip next year in the same area consider kingofthemountains.co.uk, the only downside (which may be considered an upside for some) is that it’s an 8km climb (avg gradient 5%) at the end of every day.

I am not able to get to the Sunday run for the next month or so due to weekends away so will try to catch up later in July.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived