Where Is Sean? Getting worried now!

Mrs DAVIES

I’m doing alright Kay. Not sure if you are aware but I have pneumonia (just coming up to six weeks). I am coming towards the end of my second course of antibiotics but don’t seem to be improving. If it hasn’t cleared up by Friday I have to get back in touch with my GP.

It’s more of an annoyance than an illness. I feel weak, have a chesty cough, and am wheezy and congested.

It had better clear up soon I still have three 200km Audax rides to complete before the month is out. 

This sounds very familar!  I had exactly the same a couple of years ago and the problem is that being an active cyclist masks the problem, so you think that its "just" a cough.  Like you I was wheezy and was taking every thing I could from the chemist but it refused to go.  I also started being sick after doing a big effort on a climb, when I simply could not get enough air in to my lungs. 

One particular long and steep climb (over the Long Mynd I seem to recall) finally broke me and I honestly thought that I was going to cough my lungs up, so it was at this point I finally went to see my GP.  He sent me for chest x ray the same day, so I guessed that something wasnt right!

Sure enough the x ray revealed pheumonia and it took two courses before it finally shifted.

Archived