Defford run 13th May

SamBoz

Hmm interesting ride on a rare Tuesday outing for me today. Had been enjoying the ride and company and even a little sunshine when at the bottom of a hill it felt like my chain had come off as my wheels were just spinning. Shouted chain off and stopped but soon realised was slightly more serious. Chain was fine rear wheel hub was not! Middle of nowhere! Thankfully Mick stopped with me and Ken came back for us. They both insisted on Ken and I continuing to cafe while Mick attempted to roll down hill/ walk up hill until he found help?!? What?!?! Unbelievably Mick stopped at some strangers house to ask for WD40, stranger had non but offered his rusty old back wheel to Mick who gladly accepted and made it back to cafe 10 minutes after we had arrived.... And was STILL at the front all the way home!! Thanks a million Mick and Ken for saving me while I was panicking like a complete girl! Also thanks to Ed who was frantically rummaging through wheels at home ready to drive one out for us!!!... I'll not be out for a while on a Tuesday so you can all breath a sigh of relief!!! Was just reminded again today what a lovely club I'm in and so lucky to have an extended family like you guys Xx

Yes an eventful day indeed but all ended well.  Sams mechanical was expertly dealt with and having decided that it was pointless for the whole group to wait, we went on to the cafe.  The weather would have allowed us to sit outside but most of the seats were occupied by a huge gathering of the Winchcombe CC. Our group reunited slowly, the table getting bigger and bigger as we were also joined by friends Bob Hayes together with Elaine and Mike Florence.  Mike turned up sooner than expected with a big grin on his face and could not wait to tell us the tale of of his resourcefulness. Bob K and Ade G then joined us but they too were having problems but we were able to assist them in supplying a repair patch for Bob's tyre. 

Eventually we had to drag ourselves away from the pleasant company and make our way back.  Soon after leaving the cafe the heavens opened but after a few miles we were back in the summer sun. The pace back was shall we say 'brisk' and sadly we lost Tony approaching Drakes Broughton.  Sorry Tony, normally I would have dropped back and kept you company but I needed to do some work today to fit in with my training.

I made it back to Droitwich arriving home just as a thunderstorm started and I guess the group would have probably got caught in it.

I totally agree with you Sam when you refer to an 'extended family'. Great club and proud to be a member.

Family members out today were Sam, Mike, Ken, Tony, John S, and self. Dave (John's mate) also rode with us as a guest and we were joined by his wife Ruth at the cafe.

Archived