Herefordshire Devil 85 miles Sportive

For those not familiar with these events anything with devil, challenge, killer etc. in the title

means get your climbing legs on and this was no exception.

Sorted out the cassette with the 30 tooth bottom sprocket and prepared the mudguard bike.

Left home early in the pouring rain but on reaching the M5 the roads were drying and further on

the sun began to break through in places.

The start was at Leominster and by 9:30 I was on my way.

Turned out from the HQ into the wind and a couple of miles up the road the heavy drizzle started.

After about 15 miles the first serious climb started about a mile and a half long with a very steep step to

the top, managed to save the 30 sprocket for later.

Settling down after the top ready for a fast decent only to puncture. A few choice words ( like oh bother)

put my cape to keep out the cold as the rain was getting heavier did the repair and set of for the decent

into Knighton. The next 20 miles was a steady climb into wind and rain to the first feed stop.

After tea and cakes just another five miles with a hairpin climb to the point of on return turn.

Great starting to turn with the wind cape of by now rain ceased.

A few miles in the lanes lead to a long downhill stretch on smooth surfaced B road

wind assisted on the big ring at last.

Didn't last long though a sharp left turn over the cattle grid deep breath sort out the 30 sprocket.

Then onward to the second stop at about 65 miles another welcome stop more tea and cakes.

The last stretch was over fast rolling lanes with a strong tail wind plus the sun at last.

Six hour later and back at the HQ for a nice hot shower.

A very interesting day out, very quiet roads wonderful views and well signed route.

Next test Stratford 100. Sunday May 25th.

Archived