Saracen Riders In Welsh National 25mile Champs

Well it was a early start of 6am today for Sam and myself to travel down to Wales to compete in the Welsh C A National Champs on the R25/3H, the slightly slower version of the course run mainly on dual carriageway.

Having driven around the the course before we both raced to show Sam the start the 3 Islands we had to encounter on the way out and back and the rather complex far turn we then went to the HQ to sign on and ready ourselves for the race,

Sam was off 17 minutes before me, so I made sure she got down to the start safely and then got myself sorted for my start.

This was it, I was confident that Sam was going to do a good ride and give me a good battle for honours.

Well !. Back to HQ after the finish I was greeted by a happy, smiling Sam who although hadn't seen the official results new she had done a good one, and a possible beating of the magical sub hour ride I new she had in her.

Not being able to restrain herself any longer she was off and returned with an even bigger smile and grin

that had greeted me before and gave me the news.

We now have a new Women's 25mile Record of 59mins and 8secs and the first sub hour ride to be achieved by a women in Saracen colours.

Well I don't no who was happier me or Sam, we both went on and celebrated with the cake and tea and checked out all the other times done and noted that Sam had finished in fourth place in the women's event missing out on a medal by 28 seconds.

I was very happy with my time of 58.40 and feel that I am at long last turning a corner with my form and finding some speed in my legs.

A very,very successful days racing and Sam will be on a high for at least a week if not longer

WELL DONE SAM !. You have made all my training with you worthwhile and I am so chuffed for you.

Thanks Mick. Thanks for everything on the day too and all the bashings on our training rides :-) Not sure if Mick was merely accompanying me to the start or more making sure I actually got there after a major wimp out 2 weeks before!? Anyway I can definitely reccomend this course, as always on dual carriageway (which I am still not quite used to but getting there) but you actually cycle through some lovely scenery, rivers, lakes and Forrests to take your mind off the pain, and very little traffic which makes a huge difference to me. So happy to go under the hour, never really thought I could do it but of course now I want to lose those pesky 8 seconds and get a 58! see you all soon. :-)

Just an update to inform you all that SAMs grin was even bigger than yesterday's when I saw her today, and was already looking at losing those few seconds to make it a 58 sometime soon.

Well I have to agree that it does sound better + it's something else to aim for.

Today the decision was taken to give our training session a miss and to go out for a nice leisurely ride down to Hilliers for a morning coffee, a good move I think as it had been a long day yesterday with the drive down and back again after the race.

Sam also realised why she normally gives me a hard time training on a Monday with her when I've raced on the Sunday, today she kept on about how tired her legs felt, Hmm! she will have forgotten that next Monday of coarse and be ripping my legs off again.

Should see you all Tuesday evening at club but if not weather permitting I believe we are both coming out on the Tardebigge run on Thursday for a steady ride.

Very well done Sam, I can only imagine the great feeling of achievement you have! Keep it up now you have 58 in your sights.  :biggrin:

Mustn't forget my bro-in-law, well done Mike, not too much cake & coffee though!!   :wink:

That was also a great ride Ken you did way back in 1957 on what would been a steel road bike ( possibly a fixed gear ? ) and probably a single carriageway.  What a ride to record a time of 59.01 and by my calculations a junior rider at the time as well.

A very similar time to Sam's and even closer to that even more magical  58!,  and although I have no records to look at myself I am sure you went on tobe much faster.

It really is a magical moment to go under for the first time and one you never forget.

I know I went under for the first time on the K16 at Lichfield on fixed in an evening event and Paul Carbutt

had ridden back down the course to cheer me on with a mile and a half to go back in 1971.   59.51.

Out of interest in our event last Sunday a well known Time Trialist who has been racing for many,many years recorded a time of 53.11,  his name Terry Icke.    Age  70 years old.     His fastest time recorded in 2013 was 52.04.

Incredible.

Archived