The Fred Whitton Challenge - 11th May 2014

The Fred Whitton Challenge

This is described as a gruelling 112 mile sportive challenge over some of the toughest climbs in the Lake District and looking at the route profile it's clearly not a route for the faint hearted.

profile-NEW1.jpg

Well our very own Richard Fisher will be representing the Saracen in this year's event.

The very best of luck Richard and I just hope the weather is kind on the day

Hi Richard, glad to hear from the guys that your enjoying the Sunday club runs, quite a regular I believe.

Sorry not seen you for a while on the road or down the gym but wish you all the very best on your latest challenge in the Lake District.

A real tough looking event.

Hope to catch up with you soon.

Mick.

Bravo Fish. Looks like a great event and all for a good cause. Hope the weather is good.

The Saddleback Fred Whitton Challenge is a gruelling 112 mile sportive ride for charity around the English Lake District, taking in six of the major passes en route. It is on Sunday 11th May in 2014, and the route starts & finishes at Grasmere, and includes the climbs of Kirkstone Pass, Honister Pass, Newlands Pass, Whinlatter Pass, Cold Fell, Irton Pike, and finishes with the brutal Hardknott & Wrynose Passes.

The challenge is run in memory of Fred Whitton who was the Lakes Road Club racing secretary for many years, the Lakes and Lancs' Division road racing secretary, an ex first cat, a promoter of numerous road races including the Lakes three day, an all round clubman who could drink a pint of Guinness with the best of them, sadly missed when he died of cancer at the age of 50. The proceeds of the ride will be donated to the MacMillan Nurses and the Dave Rayner Fund.

Respect! 

• 3 weeks later...

A large amount of the chat at the café stop today was everyone expressing their admiration and respect for Richard riding this again after the atrocious weather he had to contend with last year.

Alas looking at what he had to contend with today it looks like another gruelling rain lashed days riding was his lot.

Richard when you’re back warm, dry and fed please let us all know how you got on.

Hi folks,

Well another year and another Fred Whitton challenge under the belt!! Weather was kinder than last year but it was just a 'lighter' type of rain/hail.

Unfortunately, I saw a couple of nasty crashes and stopped on the decent of Honister pass to see if I could assist a fallen rider. Paramedics were soon to hand and the poor chap was airlifted off.

Thank you for your support and guidance. Even still being a newbie to the club I have watched and learned from you.

If you are interested I will give a more comprehensive overview when the blood starts flowing to my brain rather than all being in my legs.

Glad you guys had a good run out today.

Richard

Sorry to hear you had to witness those nasty events but relieved and happy that you got through unscathed. Well done Richard on another fine achievement,

I would love to have a more comprehensive report. Perhaps you could give us one in the new thread I have started called “Cyclosportive Reference”. With a few of our members riding these events regularly, particularly you and Chris Pardoe it would be nice to build up a record of them as a resource for our members.

Archived