Dambuster Duathlon Sat 9th March.

There are to Saracen members competing in this Saturdays Dambuster Duathlon being held at Rutland Water, Leicestershire, which consists of a 10km run then a 42km bike finishing with a 5km run.

The run sections are flat around the lake and the bike course is of a sporting nature around the perimeter of the lake.

Samantha Boswell is competing for the first time since her last duathlon at the same distance which was the World age group Championships in Nancy, France last September where she represented GB and was 2nd British finisher and 7th overall in her age category. I might add that at the time she was carrying a leg injury.

I wish her all the best this weekend and feel sure she will do brilliantly.

The other entry is me, Help!! now I am quite new to this but did compete in a shorter distance event last weekend and finished without disgracing myself too much.

However I will be competing with my training partner Sam this weekend and have prepared myself for a good thrashing and already thinking of some good excuses to give, the obvious one being that I am much older than her. She does remind me of that quite often.

The weather does not look very favourable as I beleive it looks like rain but is supposed tobe slightly warmer than recently.

A full report will be given as soon as I recover from the event, which will be in about a months time HaHa.

Hi all

Trying to get warm after watching mike and Sam in the duathlon. It was an early start as we were at Rutland Water just after seven.

So cold, with breeze coming off the lake, and a slight drizzle but no heavy rain and snow as was forecast. Very good to watch, mike was off ten mins before Sam so could cheer them both. No doubt you will get a full dissection later, but basically they both finished safely. Times etc will be posted later. Well warming up now, in lounge of hotel (we are away for the week) waiting for keys for lodge, with a cappuccino sat in a comfy chair. Mike in steam room/pool trying to recover! May have to search him out if not back soon! Well back to the relaxing, hard work spectating! Look out for the full low down later. Ed.

Well the young wiper snapper beat me, Surprise,surprise!!!. Well I found that really tough especially the second run, legs had gone totally. interestingly we were virtually equal on time when we had both finished the bike leg, swings and roundabouts. Then it all went wrong and I had to give way to Sams superior running ability in the second run were she took over four mins out of me in just three miles, No excuses,WELL DONE SAM!!!!!!! Brilliant. We were very lucky with the weather, although quite cold just three degrees the threatened rain and possible sleet kept away until we finished. I will get my own back one day. Some photos will follow.

Well done Mick!.. And our support crew for braving the cold and shouting us on, cheers Ed, Andy and Charlie who I think managed to get soggier, colder and muddier than we did racing! I'm going to start some training soon Mick so you best go and get those new trainers ready!! ;)

Bit disappointed with my result, as is normal with me i found it hard to stay focused on the bike which seemed so long!! But was a great day and just so good to be racing again.

Archived