Obituary....Ian Shaw.

rovi

It was with some shock that I read of Ian's orbituary. He was good club rider in the 50 s and a great talker. He and Eddy Sumner did a round the world trip in late 50s .On coming home gave a number of slide presentations around the midlands of his adventures.

However I shall remember him most for riding in 24hour events ,particularly down south. Myself , Bill Bailey and Eddy helped with feeds etc. He had the idea that the best food was to drink only soups. Needless to say the helpers became fed up with and sick of soup.

The last time I saw him was at the clubs 50th party. As I said very sad.

I also only learnt last night of Ian's passing. My friend Jim Hopper (Derby Mercury) informed me. He said even Les Lowe didn't know (Les died in December) and Les & Ian spent many a mile together as members of the Speedwell, tandem racing and also the 24 Hour Fellowship.

Ian also broke the Midland RRA B'ham-Bristol-B'ham single bicycle record, whilst he and Les broke the MRRA B'ham-York-B'ham, B'ham- Llandudno and B'ham-Oxford-B'ham tandem bicycle records (the latter still stands).

Ivor, if there is anything in Ian's effects which may be of interest to the MRRA, perhaps you would inform me.

I also only learnt last night of Ian's passing. My friend Jim Hopper (Derby Mercury) informed me. He said even Les Lowe didn't know (Les died in December) and Les & Ian spent many a mile together as members of the Speedwell, tandem racing and also the 24 Hour Fellowship.

Ian also broke the Midland RRA B'ham-Bristol-B'ham single bicycle record, whilst he and Les broke the MRRA B'ham-York-B'ham, B'ham- Llandudno and B'ham-Oxford-B'ham tandem bicycle records (the latter still stands).

Ivor, if there is anything in Ian's effects which may be of interest to the MRRA, perhaps you would inform me.

Willco Ivor

Archived