Dambusters Duathlon 2014. ( results ).

The Dambusters Duathlon which was held at Rutland Water on Saturday 8th March had only one Saracen member competing this year, myself.

The event a standard distance duathlon consists of a 10km run followed by a 42km bike leg finishing with a 5km run.

The two runs legs are held inside the park following the waters edge mainly on Tarmac paths with some grass section and the bike route is held on a road circuit around Rutland water on public roads on a very sporting course.

The weather was much warmer than the 2013 event but seemed much more exposed to very strong winds.

Some 800 athletes had signed up for this years event which always seems well supported for its location.

I made my usual steady start with the first run leg and was happy to get on the bike and make progress in catching a number of good runners who had in some cases put 3-4mins into me and clearly finding the going tough going into the first half of the bike leg which was into a stiff headwind and involved some good long climbs which probably suited me.

Having arrived back into transition for the second run it was now a case of survival and just getting to the finish.

I was hoping to better my time of 2013 but was actually 2mins 23secs slower finishing 7th in my age group and 342nd overall. Total time 2hrs 34mins 16secs.

Having looked at the results I was 3rd fastest on the bike leg in my age group and lost most of my time on the second run. I still have plenty to learn about competing in this sort of multi sport event but find it very rewarding racing against so many competitors with varying strengths in the different disciplines.

My next duathlon is at Newby Hall, Yorkshire on Sunday 13th April. Hopefully Sam will be fit and ready to race for this one which is also the British championships.

Hopefully a couple of photo's will be posted shortly.

Great report

Great photos

And great achievement.

Also on a personal note it’s great to see you suffering instead of watching the rest of us suffering trying to hold on to your wheel. lolblue.gif

Really great stuff Mick and I once again look forward to following your racing schedule throughout the season. Just no falls this season please. please.gif

Archived