Croix De Fer 931

Sean Barker

Well I took possession of my shiny new bike today and with a stainless steel frame it is certainly shiny.

Put on some Schwalbe Durano plus tyres and a new special brooks saddle and of course proudly put on my Saracen bike sticker.

Can’t wait to try it out tomorrow :)

j9nn.jpg

In all it's glory

faiv.jpg

And a little profile action.

Ah! The Croix de Fer, 'The Pass of the Iron Cross' in the French Alps has featured in many a Tour de France. Height 2067m.

up45.jpg

My brother Bernie and I June 2012

Very nice looking bike, and I'll admit that after getting through a set of rear brake blocks in less than a fortnight and having to have yet another new rear rim fitted to my handbuilts in less than 3 months, disc braked road bikes are starting to appeal!

Trouble is, if I even mention maybe considering buying another bike to SWMBO, then my life wouldn't be worth living!  :ohmy: 

Well like your good self Alan I do knock up some pretty heavy mileage and a consequence of that is going through brake blocks and rims at a frightening rate.

The way I see it is these disc brake bikes are a long term money saver, and an all together safer bike in wet conditions. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one Shaun looks really good.

You wont regret going for the disc brakes had my Boardman now for 3 yrs Replaced my 1st set of pads late last year!

Are they cable or hydraulic brakes? I noticed last year Shimano might have a hydraulic lever out road version.

Looking forward to seeing it when i get home (2 weeks to go )

Richard

Hi Richard, it will be great to see you back again.

I absolutely love the Croix De Fer. I have been using disc brakes for a while now as they are on my mountain bike but they seem even better on the road bike.

I remember picking your brain about them a while back and you were clearly impressed back then. I now fully understand why.

They are cable brakes by the way and as you know beautifully responsive whatever the weather and they are not eating into my rims which is a good feeling.

I have ridden a couple of 200km Audax events on it now as well as a few hundred miles of regular rides and it is going to be hard going back to riding my rim brake bikes after this,

Archived