Chainrings

Sean Barker

The middle chainring on my triple has started slipping (this is the one I use virtually all the time) so I took the drive train apart to clean and closer inspect it, only to find the teeth were badly worn and one was actually broken. The chainring was the Shimano Tiagra that came with the drivetrain and has lasted just less than two years. Now looking through the chainrings (both Shimano and compatible) I notice that there are a few different makes in varying prices. What I would like to know is would you recommend any manufacturers as better than the others?

I really wouldn’t mind paying a little extra for durability and performance. 

Well Sean, for a start I'd change to Campag! Failing that, I always swear by TA chainrings as excellent best quality alternatives. Make sure you get the correct model for your crank spider as fittings vary and the chainring is sometimes shaped at one bolt point to allow for this. Spa Cycles, SJS and Ribble are good supplier options.

No doubt that middle ring has seen some serious mileage, but don't start me on the need to regularly clean transmission, rims and even brake blocks! Believe me, it doesn't need to take very long and a little tlc helps extend component life!

Personally Sean I would stay with Shimano, because as good as the TA chain-rings are, they don't change any where as smooth and precise as the genuine Shimano ones do.  If you look on the chain ring, you will see a single letter stamped, such as A, B, C etc.  When you order your replacement Shimano one, you need to ensure that it has the same prefixed letter, to match your existing chain rings, this will then guarantee pefect shifting every time.

In truth genuine Shimano chain rings are not that expensive and a quick look on Google found this - HERE  I am pretty certain this will fit yours?

Well Sean, for a start I'd change to Campag! Failing that, I always swear by TA chainrings as excellent best quality alternatives. 

Interesting you should mention TA, They are the chainrings I use on my touring bike, I have learned from experience that they are the only chainrings that will survive one of my tours

No doubt that middle ring has seen some serious mileage, but don't start me on the need to regularly clean transmission, rims and even brake blocks! Believe me, it doesn't need to take very long and a little tlc helps extend component life!

I think possibly close to 20,000 miles but always the one in the worst of the weather.

Also I'm very good at keeping the rims and brake blocks clean but after taking my triple drive train apart I think I am falling short on the chainring care  :ohmy:

Personally Sean I would stay with Shimano, because as good as the TA chain-rings are, they don't change any where as smooth and precise as the genuine Shimano ones do.  If you look on the chain ring, you will see a single letter stamped, such as A, B, C etc.  When you order your replacement Shimano one, you need to ensure that it has the same prefixed letter, to match your existing chain rings, this will then guarantee pefect shifting every time.

In truth genuine Shimano chain rings are not that expensive and a quick look on Google found this - HERE  I am pretty certain this will fit yours?

Thanks Alan

This is the Shimano one here

The TA compatible one is here 

Actually I'm having trouble locating anyone with the Shimano one in stock, gravitating towards the TA one

Hi Sean,
Just received an email from chain reaction stating they have a sale on at the moment for Shimano components, 50 per cent off.
I'm also led to believe that the quality of Shimano chain rings differ so if you upgrade to Ultegra or even Dura-Ace you may find they will wear better.

Alas they are out of stock on my one but I have asked to be notified when its back in stock

I actually have Tiagra, 105 and Ultegra groupsets on my bikes and there is no doubt that they get better as you step up, never tried Dura Ace, a bit out of my price range

It seems to me that the jump from Tiagra up to 105 is a much bigger jump in terms of quality and performance than any of the other jumps in the Shimano hierarchy that I've tried

Well Sean everything that could be said about chainrings appears to have already been said in the above advise from some

most eminent, old, wise and experienced sources.

I have no experience of TA & little of Shimano being of the cosa nostra clan however original manufacturing company

replacements have always been my preference but have not had the need to source such in recent times with my paltry

mileage being spread across numerous mounts.

I suspect the higher range replacements would possibly increase longevity but with your "MEGA-MUNCHING-MILEAGES" even they will get worn out in relatively short time!!!

As a little aside, coincidentally whilst on e-bay only last week I came across record 11-speed rings with the larger

(53/52) for a double chainset being well over £100!!!!! + THEY SOLD!!

It's "NICE TO TALK" but i'd still rather do it personally.

Right thanks everyone for the invaluable help.

I have ordered the TA chainring from wiggle and also the Shimano Tiagra chainring from chainreaction.

The TA chainring should be here in a few days’ time but the Shimano chainring is out of stock and won’t be in until mid-march. So I’ll use the TA and keep the Shimano as a spare, unless I don’t care for the shifting of the TA then I’ll use the Shimano and keep the TA as a spare.

Anyway I’ll let you know how the TA chainring performs when I get it

Archived