Winter Training Wheels

Mrs DAVIES

Five questions

1 I'll always go for durability

2 I have my wheels hand built. I have Hope pro hubs and Mavic open pro rims with 36 spokes

3 My rims are one of the thickest but as mentioned more durable

4 I have these on my MTB and I love them, currently waiting for Owen to let me know when the new Genesis disc brake bikes are in

5 Afraid so

Its a good question and with the price of factory wheels being so cheap, it does question if hand built wheels are worth the money really?  In saying that, once again it all depends on what you want them for?

Me personally I prefer hand built wheels, 28 off, stainless steel, double butted spokes, Mavic Open Sport rims and Ultegra hubs (but 105 hubs are more than good enough)  The reason being that I ride to work so I need wheels that are reliable and dependable and if I do happen to break a spoke or two, then the chances are that I will still be able to ride home.  I choose the Open Sport rims over the Open Pro rims because the Open Sport rims are slightly thicker, have a wear indicator groove and are cheaper!  Whats more, the weight difference is next to nothing.

I will probably have to replace the rear rim at least once in a year, so by the time I have bought a replacement rim, plus a set of spokes and paid to have it done, then you could have quite easier have bought a decent pair of Shimano factory wheels for the same if not less money.

However, if I didnt ride to work, then I would not hesitate in the slightest in riding on factory built wheels and then when the rim wears simply throw them away!

If you buy factory wheels beware of

Prolite I have terrible trouble

changing tyres.

Interesting, as I really rate ProLite wheels, even if they do tend to be rather a bit on the heavy side.  Makes you wonder why they are called Pro"Lite" really?? 

I will probably have to replace the rear rim at least once in a year, so by the time I have bought a replacement rim, plus a set of spokes and paid to have it done, then you could have quite easier have bought a decent pair of Shimano factory wheels for the same if not less money.

However, if I didnt ride to work, then I would not hesitate in the slightest in riding on factory built wheels and then when the rim wears simply throw them away!

I have been running a pair or Shimano RS10's on my Winter bike and they are now going into their third year. I never do anywhere near Alan's mileage but neither will you. I have not had any problems with them at all. They are probably unobtainable now as I think they are now up to an RS 30.

Archived