Dave Briggs (Saracen R. C.) Obituary

rovi

I received this email today and thought I should share it with you all

Many thanks for the posting of my dad’s recent passing.  I have printed out the lovely comments so that my mum, Marie, can read them.

If you have any further information through your racing club or photos of my dad would you be able to email to me?  I am on this email address until 5pm Friday otherwise my personal one isannette_jones68@yahoo.co.uk

My dad stopped racing when I was born but the amount of cups and trophies and medals he has is testament to how many achievements he had in his racing career.

Kind regards

Annette Jones

Annette

Your dear father was remembered by many today during our Thursday club run.  Although I never had the privilege of meeting him myself, I have today heard so many reports of his achievements and I can assure you that he is held in great respect .I am honoured to be in the same club as he was.   

Dave Mitchell

It is very sad for me to hear of the passing of Dave. He was a keen supporter of the club in the 50s, and always joined in the fun on club runs. He took up cyclo cross to the surprise of us all , but he soon took the smile off our faces as he started to win races. In this ,if I remember correctly being very keenly supported by his dad. As I say a very sad time . May I give my kind regards to his wife Marie,

Terry Dunsby (I was the club captain from 1954 to 1959.)

Annette has further asked me to inform you all

Thank you for adding my email to your forum, much appreciated, as are the other comments that followed.

If you want to add the following this is the details for the funeral:-

Monday 20th January – 12 noon – at the Catholic Church in Caernarfon, Gwynedd, North Wales.  (this is where mum and dad have lived for the past 25 years)

Interment at the cemetery in Carmel, approx. 5 miles from Caernarfon at approx. 1.15pm

Regards

Annette

Never throw anything away !

I have just found the BCCA (British Cyclo-Cross Association) Handbook for the 1961-62 Season.

1960 – Baddesley Colliery :

Winner – Dave Briggs – Saracen RC

Second – Don Stone – Croydon RC  (winner in 1957 and 1958, riding for 34 Nomads CC)

Third – Alan Winters – Solihull CC

Team – Solihull CC – Alan Winters, D. Mountford, A. Moss.

1961 – Chobham Common, Surrey :

Winner – John Atkins – Coventry RC

Second – M. Wilkinson – Southport RC

Third – Dave Briggs – Solihull CC

Team – Three Spires RC – M. Kerr, A. Brock, D. Wardle.

So, Dave moved to the Solihull CC for the 1960-61 season.

In 1961, Dave, riding for Solihull CC,  was also the Area Champion, shown as the Midland

Cyclo-Cross League.

John Atkins (Coventry RC) was second and Bill Radford (Wolverhampton Wheelers) third.

Solihull CC won the team prize – Dave, Alan Winters and A. Moss

The Area Champions are only shown for the 1960-61 Season.

I have spoken to Terry Dunsby, but he cannot add much to what we already know.

Terry mentioned that Dave’s father was very supportive with regard to Dave’s racing and training.

Terry also recalled that when Dave was down to ride the National Championships (at Bolton in 1959),

a coach was organised for Dave and all his Saracen supporters to go to the event together, but Dave

did not turn up on the day as he was ill with ‘flu.

I contacted The National Cycle Collection at Llandrindod Wells, but they do not have any records of

cyclo-cross events, and suggested that I contact the University of Warwick Library who have an

extensive collection of cycling publications and memorabilia.  I have done this and they have

replied to the effect that they have some papers deposited by Neville Billington about the BCCA,

but very few refer to the period of the late fifties and early sixties.

Incidentally, Don Smith, riding for M.C. & A.C., came second in the National Championship in 1956,

at Halesowen, the winner being Alan Jackson of the De Laune CC

My Brothers and I watched David race on many occasions, sometimes holding spare wheels whilst Dad had the backup bike.

Dad's Ford Pilot, reg' JOK176 with roof rack for bike's and large Saracen club badge proudly mounted on the front bumper would have been

seen at virtually all cyclo cross event's during David's racing day's.

Although more than 50 years have gone by since I last saw David race,I still remember with Brotherly pride his effort's and success's.

Roger Briggs.

Archived