Tyres

Sarashell

Now that we have all got our chains lubricated, my thoughts are moving on to tyres. 

I like Michelins, for my summer bike I use ProRace, they are light and lively and grippy, they don't last for ever but they are a raceable tyre.

On my winter bike, I have at the moment Michelin Dynamic which are wired and not too lively, before that I had a pair of Vittoria Zaffira (which came with the bike), not very lively but they did last a long time.

I am happy with the ProRace on my summer bike, but I am looking for some winter tyres that are a bit more lively, so as to keep up with certain people on a Thursday.

What are your thoughts?

John. :rolleyes: 

I’ve tried quite a few tyres but tend to gravitate to the more puncture resistant ones.

On my winter bike I use Schwalbe Marathon Plus. They are probably far too heavy for most club cyclists but coming as I do from a touring background they feel all right to me and there isn’t a more puncture resistant tyre on the market.   

onbike.co.uk-schwalbe-marathon-plus-tyre

As for my summer tyre I go for the Schawlbe Durano Plus. Again a good puncture resistance and decent rolling too. I always go for 25mm 

schwalbe-durano-plus-hs399-folding-tyre-

I think that you are going to get a wide range of preferences on this one John.  Like every thing else - it's price that plays a big part in choosing bike bits.  I myself used to ride Contis, GP4000 for summer and Four Seasons for winter.  I found that the road holding was great but they were not so good for wear.  I moved to Schwalbe Durano plus after reading some good write up's in the cycling press. My wife had them fitted as standard when she purchased a bike two years ago and I was impressed by their perfomance.

I have ridden the 25mm version through this winter and have been really pleased with the grip and resistance to punctures.

It has to be the Vittoria Open EVO Pave tyres, expensive yes, but brilliant tyres and wear really well.  Plus, they ride just like a tub, so what is there not to like?   But be warned, you do need to shop around to sniff out the best prices.

vittoria111162sc25171tg.jpg

REVIEW

REVIEW

Archived