Defford Run Christmas Eve

DaveM

Only three braved the weather for the usual run to Defford today.  We were into a cold strong wind and there were showers off and on most of the way. There was a lot of standing water on the roads and the fields appeared to be turning into lakes.  None of usual gathering of cyclists were at the cafe today so we had a quiet break. We were hoping to do some last minute Xmas shopping to get presents for our wives but found that Darren does not stock diamond jewellery, designer handbags or exotic perfume. So disappointing. The wind had picked up a little more when it came time to leave so we were glad to have it behind us for the return leg.  Things started to go pear shaped just north of Ramsden where we found the river raging across the road and as the traffic on the other side was turning back we decided to give it a miss and did a u-turn. We were soon back on route and progressed well till I left the group to make for Huddington whilst they made Bradley Green.  Mistake! After about a mile or so I came across some pretty deep looking water but decided to risk it seeing as I was so near to home. I managed to keep upright and avoid wet feet but when I reached Huddington Mill the river was over it's banks in a big way. Another u-turn and back through the lake again.  Making for Himbleton now, I was flagged down a motorist who told me that the road ahead was impassable. Another u-turn to Earls Common and hopefully Priests Bridge would be clear. Luck was in as the river there was below the road and so on to Hanbury.  Next on the list was a hail storm driven by a wind so strong I had to get off and shelter at the old church. It all calmed down again after about ten minutes and was able to cruise back to Droitwich.

Silly S_ds out today - Ken H, John S and myself.

Well done guys.

I was wondering who else was mad enough to go out today.

I did that permanent Audax from Lichfield to Grantham and back. The wind fairly well blew me to the half way point but it was hard going on the return leg as I was straight into a strong headwind for the 110km back to Lichfield and into a hailstorm at one point.

Some serious flooding out in Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire/Leicestershire all the rivers had burst their banks and some of the roads were under water.

One of those rides where I was glad when it was over.   

Making for Himbleton now, I was flagged down a motorist who told be that the road ahead was impassable. Another u-turn to Earls Common and hopefully Priests Bridge would be clear. Luck was in as the river there was below the road and so on to Hanbury. 

Now its funny that you should mention this, coz I also came across said flood in Himbleton.  However, not being as wise as you guys, I decided to ride through it......HUGE mistake!!!  I totally underestimated how deep it was, and also how strong the current was.

At about the midpoint, my entire chainset was totally submerged and I was being taken by the flow towards the right hand edge, it was only the clapping of the audience that were standing by the bridge that kept me peddling otherwise I would have jumped for shore!  Once over the bridge I headed towards Shell Ford and that road was also badly flooded, so I turned around and then went left and up the hill towards higher ground

Consequently yesterday afternoon was spent stripping the bike down and getting rid of all the water from inside the wheels, bearing and bottom bracket.  Oh how my wife loved me.....NOT!!!!!

I also came across said flood in Himbleton.  However, not being as wise as you guys, I decided to ride through it......HUGE mistake!!!  I totally underestimated how deep it was, and also how strong the current was.

At about the midpoint, my entire chainset was totally submerged and I was being taken by the flow towards the right hand edge, it was only the clapping of the audience that were standing by the bridge that kept me peddling otherwise I would have jumped for shore!  

I would have loved to have witnessed that :lol2

I would have loved to have witnessed that :lol2

I'll be perfectly honest, it was looking like it was going to end in tears at one point.  But as I passed the few people that were clapping I played it down as if it was a every day occurrence, but once I was around the corner and out of sight, it was a case of TFFT!

Archived