rovi

Leave REDNAL 9-30am.

Destination Stourport

Via Chaddesley Corbett.

We will use the cafe in the high St.

(near the crossing) if it is shut,

we have others to chose from.

Weather and temp.permitting.

A MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE WHO LOOKS AT THIS POST.

Come and ride with us you will be most welcome.

I had a phone call from Alan who had made it to Rednal but found himself alone, I told him that Mick was heading to Chaddesley to rendezvous with the group and if he headed there he might reach them.

I tried to contact Mick to let him know Alan was on the way but I only have his home number. I tried Dave but Dave was giving it a miss and Kevin’s number rung out.

I hope Alan made it in time, but it would have been quite the ride if he did.

Well I admit to being slightly disappointed that after battling the headwind in order to get to Rednal, no one else made it?  Then after speaking to Sean I decided to try and make it to Chaddesley Corbett to meet the others for 10 o'clock.

So up Rose Hill and back into the headwind and as I was climbing my chain was making some usual noises, which I assumed was a tight link due to all the water ingress recently.  Down into Catshill, then Fairfield, but then decided that I would not be able to make Chaddesley so I then opted to go straight to Stourport.  However, it then started raining quite hard, so then I decided to head for home instead.  Then it stopped raining so another u turn back towards Stourport, the noise from my chain starting to annoy me as I cannot see which link has gone stiff?

Finally got to Stourport to find that no one else was there, so just about to do my third u turn of the day and then MickH arrives!  Sat chatting and enjoying a well earned cuppa and a sausage sandwich and DaveM arrives followed shortly afterwards by John.

The ride home was a lot easier, with a mainly tailwind, but my chain noise was causing me concerns now as I couldn't understand what could have happened.  Got in just as the heavens opened and popped my bike in the bike stand, then I saw why my chain was rattling!!!!!

dpkv.jpg

It is simply unbelievable that I have ridden probably ridden over 40 miles this morning, including going up Rose Hill and the climb out of Stourport with just one side plate holding the chain together!!!

Late getting out today. Tried several times, every time I got the bike out of the garage in started to rain. Eventually I got away some time after 10.00, so made straight for Stourport managing to keep dry all the way there. Mike and Alan had just arrived so that worked out great and we were soon joined by John to make up the quartet.  A very pleasant break and then a wind assisted run back via Hartlebury and Elmbridge.  I got caught in a shower going into Droitwich but I was home so it didn't matter.

Delighted you met up with the guys Alan. That sort of fortitude and determination deserves an end result. :)

Can’t believe that that chain held together for that distance in those conditions!  

Alan this is your lucky week. First surviving a near drowning and today getting home on that chain! Go and buy a lottery ticket    :thumbsup

Just taking a closer look at that link and it's one of those quick links we both use.

Never had that happen to me. I take it you do use a new one with each new chain?

Correct Sean, plus I always fit a new quick link when I fit a new chain.  The current chain has done in the region of 1500 miles, and has just reached 0.75mm stretch on a couple of the links according to the Park chain checker.  I have snapped side plates on ten speed chains before, three in total from memory, but have never had any problems with quick links before?

Thanks Alan. I wasn't sue if you should always use a new one with a new chain but I always have.

Like you I have snapped side plates on a ten speed before too but never a quick link and I use my chains a lot longer than you do, too long in fact.

I'll be a lot more vigilant from now on though.

Archived