Steady run Sun. 15th.Dec.

rovi

Caught the 'B's just short of the Tardebigge on a mild, cloudy day into a fairly strong wind.  Shortly after reaching Flying Horse Lane we were caught by a gasping Chris Kent who had made a late start.  A brisk pace soon took us to the cafe at Craycombe where we were made most welcome. Not long into the break we were surprised by the 'A's turning up looking like they had been through a paddy field. Not sure why they decided to join us after all or why they came cross country.

The morning was marred by the discovery of a heinous crime.  A member of the crew, on returning to his seat, found that some of his rations had been stolen. The guilty party, having crumbs around his mouth, admitted the foul deed. Conveniently he was sat by the captain, so a Court Martial was held immediately and the accused found guilty. In his defence the accused stated ' I was near to starvation waiting for my bacon, sausage,egg, and mushroom bap'. During time of war this is a hanging offence, but a more lenient sentence was awarded in this case.  The man will be Keel Hauled on Thursday in the Droitwich canal, which is quite handy as we can all go to Julies afterwards.

We managed to slip away from the 'A's, not wanting a beating on the return leg. We were in the rain now but the wind, even stronger, was behind us.  M and I peeled off at North Piddle to cruise home. Hope the rest of the bunch made it back without getting too wet.

Afloat today were Ivor, Pete C, Barry, Chris T, Chris K, Tony S, Ken H, Mandy and myself (B's) and Mike H, Owen H, Derek B, Phil C, Chris P and John S (A's)

Glad you had a good ride, I hope the weather was better for you than it was for me.

On the 200km Audax I rode I was fairly well blown all the way from Lichfield to Grantham but as I turned around for the return leg the rain came down hard and it was into a rain-swept headwind all the way back. Riding with the way my wrist is, despite an 8:30am start I didn’t finish until 9:15pm

Still what doesn’t kill you…

Archived