Sore Knee

DaveM

I have been experiencing some soreness to the outside of my knee just lately. ITB syndrome I believe it's called.  Anybody had this?

I have not altered any part of the bike I regularly ride or increased my cycling activity.  In fact I am doing less miles now than in the Summer. Haven't replaced cleats or altered them. I can't recall twisting or pulling anything either. I've researched it on the web and found some recommended  stretching  excercises and I will give them a try. 

Hi Dave following on from quick chat this morning... Suspect you have been working hard on spin bike when weather has been British!!.. Which is maybe a change from last year?? I only have knee problems if there is not enough float on my pedals/ shoes so maybe that is a factor or maybe some intense work outs have made your IT band tight. Definitely worth investing in a roller to stretch them out and work on hamstrings too.

Thanks Sam.  Don't think it's the spin bike, as I started getting the problem during the period that I was getting plenty of road miles in.  I don't know of any changes I have made to either mileage, type of riding or position. Unless it's the result of a summer of really trying hard!  As you advised this morning, I have started appropriate stretching and will see if I can knock up a roller.  I have also made some adjustments to my cleats by slackening them right off.  It feels like the twisting action needed to release the pedal is aggravating the injury.  Doesn't give me any problem while I am on the bike.  It's walking about and particularly turning that causes a burning sensation.  Good thing is, I think this sort of injury can be overcome not like some knee injuries where you end up on the table.

Thanks again for your input I'll let you know how it goes.

• 1 month later...

Went out to day after an enforced rest of just over a week.  Pleased to say that my knee problem seems to have cleared up. I have been doing some stretching exercises and I am sure that has helped.  However I have recently read an article in Cycling Plus that said that one of the most likely causes of ITB syndrome was time trialing! They did not say what aspect of the sport it arises from but I think it must be the low profile position.

Anyhow lets see what this season brings. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave following on from quick chat this morning... Suspect you have been working hard on spin bike when weather has been British!!.. Which is maybe a change from last year?? I only have knee problems if there is not enough float on my pedals/ shoes so maybe that is a factor or maybe some intense work outs have made your IT band tight. Definitely worth investing in a roller to stretch them out and work on hamstrings too.

Took your advice and invested in a roller. I had some Wiggle vouchers so it didn't hit the wallet too hard. I really am pleased with it so far, painful, but so effective. I can't believe how good it works on sore muscles and I hope that it will help my ITB problem. Thanks so much for the tip.  :wink:

http://www.triggerpointuk.com/the-grid.html

Always keep em warm.

Never have your cleats too tight,

only enough to stop the foot from

pulling out when you pull up.

Have you heard the one about...

Sit on a table and let the lower legs hang down,

look down at your feet and if they are angled out or in,

then they say that that is the angle you should try to

replicate on the pedals. Seems to work for me.

Archived