Club run Sunday 15th September

Sean Barker

This Sunday sees the annual club run to Wellend, where there will be two rides. A number of riders will be meeting at the Forest Public House car park at the earlier time of 9:00am to ride down via Droitwich for a 9:45 rendezvous and then on to Welland.

The weather forecast is improving all the time and looking considerably less foreboding than some twenty four hours ago.

Ooops typo

The Welland club run is an event where we meet up there and then there will be two rides catering for different needs, after which we all meet up for some refreshments and a social gathering.

Most people will drive there but there will be a select few who chose to cycle there and back.

Kay

This is an extract from the club news letter which you would have received if the the secretary, David Jones, had your postal or email address :-

CLUB RUN AND SOCIAL EVENT, WELLAND – SUNDAY, 15th SEPTEMBER 2013

This will be held at the usual venue – The Laurels, Gloucester Road, Welland,

Near Malvern – standard ride leaving at 10.30 am (about 35 miles) and the short ride at 11.00 am (20 to 25 miles).    This is a combined riding and social event, and

everyone, riders or non-riders, is welcome.

The social gathering will start to suit those present and food and refreshments will be available from one o’clock when those taking part in the two rides should be arriving back at Welland.  Any assistance with such items as desserts and other delicacies would be greatly appreciated where this is convenient.  For those arriving by car, and who have the space, some chairs would help as numbers seem to be increasing.  Please let Dave and Judy Jones know if you are attending so that adequate arrangements can be made for the main catering – 01684 310315

I made it to the forest but Chris Kent had text me on route to let me know I was going to be on my own so just did my own thing however while cycling today I passed through Alvechurch and as luck would have it the mighty Alvechuch were playing.

Now I couldn't find out who the opposition were but judging by the strip I can only assume that it was the Argentinian national team.

Buoyed by the fact that the home fans outnumbered the away supporters by five to two (there were five home supporters and only two away fans) I decided that this would be the ideal opportunity to try out those traditional football chants. Now Alvechurch being a middle class area I thought a more sanitised version of those chants might be in order. After those old chestnuts where I questioned the referee's sight and suggestion that a guide dog might be in order, and assuring the away fans that they would be ferried home in an ambulance I came in with my trump card and insisted that the away fans did in actual fact only partake in singing when they were winning.

I was acutely aware that the away fans (both of them) were ignoring me but I just put that down to the fact that they were Argentinian and only spoke Spanish.

As the final whistle blew I did consider a pitch invasion but the barrier was wet from the morning's rain and I didn't care to get the seat of my pants wet so decided to save the pitch invasion for another day.

Some photos of the game

njss.jpg

pgu6.jpg

iy3s.jpg

0cvt.jpg

uh4y.jpg

Archived