Club Run Sunday 27th March

Sean Barker

The A's had originally planned a potential 'two cafe stop' route for today - but a last minute change has led to a new plan!

The A's will be heading for Coffee 1 in Pershore. Given that the forecast doesn't look great and given that O and Aec are both riding a 100 mile sportive tomorrow we figured we'd keep the mileage limited!

Confirmed for the A run thus far is Owen, myself, Alec and Dave C.

Bit of an eventful ride for me this morning. I headed out only to turn back with a problem with my inner chainring, I grabbed my mountain bike but was never going to get to Tardebigge in time. So ended up meeting the rest of them in Evesham.

Chris Kent arrived shortly afterwards as did Alan Philpot, who had cycled there on his own

Today's B run riders were

John Shelley

Moira Blackburn

Chris Thompson

Sean Barker

Alan Philpot

A small B Group today as some of our regulars have moved to the A group.

Just waiting for a roll call from the A group before I update the points table :)

Owen and I were the first to arrive at The Forest this morning.... early enough for Owen to decide he'd have a pre-ride coffee. Evidently LDG's coffee bongo has taken off! No sooner had Owen made the decision did Tim and Alec arrive. Last but not least was Dave - who despite living the closest to the Forest ALWAYS seems to arrive last!

We rode past the B's at the Tardebigge and made our way at a good pace (despite the wind). Upon turning left at Priest Bridge we encounter two horse riders and a dog walker, who point out that there are a number of sheep in the road on the corner. One horse rider suggested riding up to them making a bit of noise would steer them back towards the field. So, on the front at the time, I ride towards the flock cooing and calling and most manoeuvre around the outskirts of the cattle grid and back into the field. However, three sheep (two little and one big) were caught in a bit of fencing. A rogue ram was also on the other side of the road and hadn't moved in the slightest.

Owen jumps off his bike to free the trapped sheep, and Dave leaps off to recover the roaming ram. The two little ones are freed quickly enough but the big sheep is well and truly stuck. While Owen and Alec debate how to release the sheep Dave has 'shooed' the ram towards the gate, and al that stands between him and his field is Tim Brueton, dressed in red, sat as a target on his bike while holding another bike.

Thankfully the ram showed mercy and decided not to give Tim a bump; but he did continue to spectate once over the grid, watching the proceedings. Luckily for us (and the sheep) the B's came round at this point, with Mick H on the rear. He swings into the drive and quickly demonstrated his farm hand skills. Within a minute of Mick's arrival the last ewe is freed and in the field unharmed!

We continue on our way to the cafe, riding into the wind but thankful for the lack of rain! The cafe as always offered fab food.

The ride home was tough but enjoyable. My legs, tired from the quicker pace and the wind took time to wake up and didn't want to stay awake for long on the return leg. Still, I arrived home to find we'd ridden 62.3 miles at an average of 16.5mph - maybe not the quickest A run but a good pace given the wind!

Today's A run riders were:

Tim Brueton
Dave Cunningham
Mick Hazlewood
Owen Hazlewood
Hannah Smith
Alec Wright

While I thoroughly enjoyed riding with 'da guys' again I will save my excursions out with the A's for 'special occasions'!

We were just thankful that you rounded the sheep up out of the road for us all looked a bit confusing when we came past but heard Hannah say Owen and Dave were sheep whispering so we continued on expecting you to come blasting past but instead were overtaken by a group from Solihull who soon slowed down once they were past us so we could sit nicely on the back of them out of the wind until they turned right before the Lenches when super speedy Sarashell showed Chris and myself how to attack  them he may be 70 but he can't half get up those hills. A very windy ride out for us but mainly a tail wind back. Nice to see Mr Kent at the cafe in such good form.

Archived