Mid Shropshire Wheelers Sunday crit no1

Hi all,

I've been at it again, flying the Saracen colours around another circuit. This time in Shrewsbury instead of Stourport. Upon arrival I went to sign on straight away, great I thought to myself here we go again. I get my number and pin it on and put the timing chip on my bike. I roll back to the car, get my rollers out and jump on them for 20 mins. As I was warming up the sun comes out, no wind. Perfect! But it was a different story on the circuit. I finish my warm up and roll down to the start line. I start to get nervous and start to feel sick. We are allowed on the track for a couple of laps warm up, my body relaxes itself and I start to remember to calm down and not be nervous. However once again I find that I'm starting at the back, so the first 4 or 5 laps I'm chasing everyone to get into the peloton. I am able to stay with the peloton for a good 10-15 laps but the sprints start to take their toll so I find I drop back and end up on my own. I'm racing around and around with the peloton a quarter of a lap ahead. I'm trying to catch back on and just as i was getting close an attack from the front. I try to go with the peloton but my legs wouldn't let me, so I\y find myself dropped once again. The leaders gain half a lap on the peloton, I can feel them breathing down my neck. I keep telling myslef to keep going if I cant /finish in the main bunch I am not going to get lapped. Laps after laps go by I'm still ahead of the leaders this is great i think to myself, the next lap I find we only have 5 to go. Great they are surely going to get quicker and catch me up i thought to myself, so I dug in and picked up my pace. Through doing this I can see other riders who are getting shelled out of the peloton, great some people to chase. This is where I can gain places, so I dig in a bit more and surely enough I start to collect the dropped riders. On the last lap I find myself 27th but I can see a few riders ahead. I make an effort to catch them. I sail past them and further on down i see 23rd. I think he may just be unreachable, but I stay with my effort to catch him and just as I head around the hairpin I start to catch him. Through the chicane I know I have good legs I feel like I could out sprint him so I push on through the chicane. In the middle of the chicane I manage to get on his wheel I try going on his inside, he closes the door so I drop off and around the last part of the chicane I go around the outside of him. I start my sprint, I leave him and cross the line 23rd. 

All in all a good days racing I feel, however the main bunch still eludes me. Its my best finish yet and I'm gaining experience. 

Dave Cunningham

ps photos to follow

Archived