Vittoria Open Pave CG's quality concern

Sean Barker

This is a strange one, never had it happen before.

The covering on the sidewall is coming away from the main body on my Vittoria Open Pave CG's

Now it doesn't seem to be having any effect on the structural integrity of the tyre, should I simply super glue it back in place or would you recommend a different course of action?

Here are a couple of pictures to show you the situation

s427.jpg

plf3.jpg

Blimey....I have never seen that happen before!!!  In the first instance I would mail the shop and include those photos, I would also copy in Vittoria as I'm sure that they would be most interested in seeing those pictures.

Vittoria

The UK distributor is -

The Wolds Farm

Clawson Road,

Holwell,

Melton Mowbray
Leics

LE14 4SH

phone: +44 07980260054
fax: +44(0)7980260054

michaelelson@btconnect.com

In the meantime, personally I dont think that I would continue to ride on them, coz if the tyre does decide to go pop then the first you'll know about it is when you'll be sat on yer arse looking up at the sky!

Well I have had a reply from the UK distributor 

michaelelson@btconnect.com

11:02 AM (1 hour ago)

to me

Who did you buy them from?  you should return them there are they will be returned to me for inspection.  How did this happen?

Kind Rgds

michael

Mmmm an answer and two questions, the second of which seems utterly ridiculous.

Well here is my answer

Thank you Michael for your speedy response and confirmation that they are unsafe, as for your two questions;

I bought them from Ribble and as to how it happened, I put the tyres on the wheels of my bike and went out cycling on roads, nothing out of the ordinary.  

I have sent ribble an email with the same photos I attached to yours and am still awaiting a reply

Regards

Sean Barker.

Now I await the response from ribble :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well had the tyre returned from ribble today with a note saying that after examination it was decided by them that the tyre had fallen apart due to normal wear and tear.

A bit disappointed to be honest. A couple of months and and less than a thousand miles doesn’t really seem much for such an expensive tyre. shrug3.gif

Well had the tyre returned from ribble today with a note saying that after examination it was decided by them that the tyre had fallen apart due to normal wear and tear.

A bit disappointed to be honest. A couple of months and less than a thousand miles doesn’t really seem much for such an expensive tyre. shrug3.gif

What utter rubbish and a very disappointing response from Ribble I have to say, I would take the matter up with the UK Importer now. 

What utter rubbish and a very disappointing response from Ribble I have to say, I would take the matter up with the UK Importer now. 

Sent off an email to fill them in on the state of play. not really expecting much but nothing ventured,,,,,

At this point I'm just glad I discovered them when I was cleaning my bike and not in the frightening scenario you suggested could have easily happened.

• 3 weeks later...

After eighteen days have passed since I sent the following email to the main suppliers

Well I returned it to ribble but apparently they fell apart due to normal wear.

I must confess to being extremely disappointed by this I really expected more than a couple of months and less than a thousand miles before they disintegrated.

I'd be interested to know your take on this, as I hasten to add is everyone in my cycling club, this really has become quite the topic of conversation

Regards

Sean

I thought I’d send another nudge their way

Hello again Michael

Just wondering if you intend to reply to this email, as I say I’d be genuinely interested in what you have to say about this.

Respectfully

Sean Barker

Now I’m thinking three things

1 Their product was faulty/poor quality, certainly not fit for purpose

2 Ribbles returns system is a joke

3 The suppliers customer care leaves a lot to be desired. 

Sean, as well as several instances of tread and sidewall bubbling, I've seen (and heard) several Vittoria clinchers fail at the bead completely, resulting in blown tyres and tubes as well. Fortunately with no ruined riders! Now I know some folk swear by Vittoria, and in the past I've made great use of their tubulars ... but personally I wouldn't use their clinchers again.

You got them from Ribble, not Wiggle (quoted above)? I've never had problems with Wiggle returns, but it sounds like Ribble never sent them on to the importer. Your best bet is to keep on at them (the importer). it's their brand's reputation after all.

Sean, as well as several instances of tread and sidewall bubbling, I've seen (and heard) several Vittoria clinchers fail at the bead completely, resulting in blown tyres and tubes as well. Fortunately with no ruined riders! Now I know some folk swear by Vittoria, and in the past I've made great use of their tubulars ... but personally I wouldn't use their clinchers again.

You got them from Ribble, not Wiggle (quoted above)? I've never had problems with Wiggle returns, but it sounds like Ribble never sent them on to the importer. Your best bet is to keep on at them (the importer). it's their brand's reputation after all.

Well spotted Tony, and you are right Wiggles returns and general customer care is excellent in my experience. 

You are also right in the fact that they (Ribble) never sent them on to the supplier. 

I've corrected my mistake above now

I am really disappointed at the lack of response from the UK Importer, but not at all surprised by Ribble's lack of response or interest to be honest.  I have used Vittoria tyres and tubs for years and still do, hence my recommendation to you Sean.  I also know plenty of other people that use them and I have never heard of any such issues before.

Well I got back in touch today and here is the lowdown

I figured after eighteen days of being ignored I'd fire the same email off again with this post

Hello again Michael

Just wondering if you intend to reply to this email, as I say I’d be genuinely interested in what you have to say about this.

Respectfully

Sean

Clearly not strong in the memory department as this email was all about returning it to Ribble and having it returned to me as fully stated earlier 

Did you return it to ribble?  I spoke to them to advise them thst you were returning it?

Getting a real feeling of déjà vu here 

Yes I did but it was returned to me saying it was down to wear and tear.

I wonder why he didn't say this nearly three weeks ago!

Well if you don't agree send it to me and I will check

I really feel like I'm banging my head against a wall here, as indeed I have for weeks banghead.gif

I’ve thrown it out now. After you didn’t get back to me after a couple of weeks it went out with the rubbish.

I still think less than two months and about 850 miles before it literally disintegrated is a clear indication that is was of poor quality/faulty.

To be honest at this point I’m just grateful that I discovered the fault while cleaning the bike and not (as was pointed out to me by fellow club mates) after a catastrophic failure that could have resulted in the kind of injuries that I really don’t want to think about.

I would add that I’d be interested to hear your final word on this because as I mentioned earlier it really has become quite the topic of conversation within my cycling club and the members are curious as to how this pans out 

And so much for the supplier  tosser.gif

I spoke earlier to Ribble who advised me that the tyre was worn through. As I said, if I was able to inspect I could confirm but ribble are usually a very fair judge

Kind rgds

Michael

Archived