Removing pedals

Sean Barker

Right for the life of me I just can’t take the pedals off my bike, they are simply too tight to remove.

Don’t get me wrong I’ve given it a good try. In fact I’ve lost so many divots of flesh in the process that my back yard now resembles an abattoir.

Perhaps there is a better 8mm allen key; mine may be just too short to get the necessary purchase.

Any advice, both on removing the pedals and tending seemingly mortal wounds would be gratefully appreciated. 

Hi Sean

You are trying to unscrew them in the right direction I presume?   Left pedals are left -hand thread.  You really need a sturdy long allen  key. Slipping a piece of pipe over the key will give you some extra leverage or putting a ring spanner over the key can sometimes do the trick.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/pedal-installation-and-removal-pw-3-pw-4-pw-5-hcw-16

It always pays to put some anti seize grease on the threads when first fitting the pedals.

Have you a heat gun? 

Try gently warming up the cranks to get them to expand slightly, apply a gentle heat a couple of inches away from the hole and allow the heat to transfer along the aluminium to the crank threads. 

Or and please trust me here, as its not as daft as it may sound, but try tightening it first before trying to undo it. 

As a point of interest, but I have just been looking on the link that Dave posted to the Park website and how they suggest you could have the bike when fitting/removing pedals.

So I presume that they are suggesting that you suspend the bike from the ceiling via a hook on the rear wheel?   Now if that is the case, then I would pay good money to watch someone trying to remove a stuck pedal from a bike while its suspended from the ceiling..... :D

Either that or you have to be bloody good at balancing a bike on its front wheel? :rolleyes:

pedal271.jpg

Well after drawing dead as far as removing those stubborn pedals, I have ordered this bad boy.

topeak-pedalbar-med.jpg?w=350&h=350&a=7

Topeak Pedalbar Retractable Spanner

I now await with bated breath and a growing sense of expectation that round two will see the tide turning in my favour. 

Bring it on!

Round two

Got my new heavy duty spanner today and went back into the ring full of confidence.
After some ten minutes of grunting and groaning I was a dejected beaten and humbled man.
I tried this new tool on all my other bikes and it removed the pedals with ease but the right pedal on my red Cannondale was stuck fast.
With my right hand tightly wrapped in a clean rag and held above my head to stem the flow of blood, I made my way into the bathroom to tend my wound and draw up my strategies for round three. 

• 2 months later...

Just to bring closure to this and bring you all up to speed.

I popped into Evans in the city centre and bought a new pair of pedals and in an almost matter of fact afterthought asked if they could possibly pop them onto my bike.

I watched with amused anticipation as the mechanic took the pedals out of the box and reached for his tool, Now it was my turn to watch someone struggle in vain.

However he removed the peddles with consummate ease, greased the threads on the new ones fitted them and as quick as you like pushed the bike towards me and wished me a good day.

With head bowed and back stooped I walked out of the shop a broken, humbled and pitiful man.

Archived