Falling off Thursday

rovi

Four of us decided to ride to Droitwich via Bromsgrove & Wychbold to try and avoid the ice on the quieter roads. But we came on to a patch of black ice hidden round a corner on Crown Lane. The front three came off, two were unhurt but one of us injured his shoulder and had trouble breathing. We phoned 999 and a paramedic came and did the assessment on the roadside. Two ambulances came and decided, after about an hour, to take him to hospital - Worcester I think.

The people living nearby were very helpful - storing the bike and lending us a blanket.

We lucky ones went back to Stoke Prior for tea and cakes then home.

The paramedic and ambulance crew were excellent. Presumably would have cost a couple of $1000 in the US system?

We're so lucky to still have the NHS, though for how long?

I was talking to Leigh this evening and he is in good spirits although struggling to be comfortable. He is still in hospital and likely to be there for at least another couple of days.

He is on a cocktail of powerful painkillers and everyone has been warned that he may be babbling and making no sense when he talks but in truth no one has noticed any change 

Get well soon Leigh we are all thinking of you

It seems that Thursday was deceptively dangerous; a number of experienced riders had offs on that day.

I'm sure Leigh is keeping the hospital staff both entertained and busy! But all joking aside Leigh I do hope to see you back on your feet (if not your bike!) soon.

I feel the need to warn readers of this post about another issue that seems to be causing a number of offs these last two or three days... and that's diesel on the roads.

Young JJ (from V-Sprint) had an off on Sunday, breaking his wrist in the process. Other V-Sprint riders also fell. And riders of a local audax have also fallen this weekend as a result of diesel on the road.  Please use extra caution when out on the roads, when travelling in groups and alone. Spring is ALMOST here, let's not spend it in casts or in hospital!

Get well soon to all that are injured and fingers crossed there are no more offs!!!

Archived