CLUB RUN Sunday 7th Feb

Mick Hazlewood

Oh dear dude, hope you feel better soon! Make like Sean and drink fluids and rest up!!! :happy:

Out of interest, who is definitely out tomorrow for the B run? I know we've got Owen, Mick, Speedy, 50 Shades and Dave C going as the A's... but not sure who's defo out with B's?

I'm suuuuuuure that Moira will be out! :tongue:

I arrived at Tardebigge where I met up with the group, despite a slight head cold I followed the group and was greatfull for the sedate pace.

We were running late by the time we made it to Ombersley, so instead of getting to Cob House after the breakfasts were finished we made for that café at the garden centre at the top of the hill after Ombersley.

I was feeling a little jaded on the return leg and lost the group but was son joined by the irrepressible Leigh Fidget, which was fortuitous as I punctured shortly after.

Somewhat wet and bedraggled I made my way home glad that I made the effort.

Today’s B run riders were

John Shelley

Mick McClure

Moira Blackburn

Chris Thompson

Hannah Smith

Ken Haddon

Sean Barker

Can someone give me the roll call for the A group and I’ll update the points table?

:)

Well one & all I just made it to the Cobhouse in time for breakfast as did Chris Pardoe who had ridden a lumpy route out on his own into what seemed to me like a strong cold headwind!

The rest of the 'A's were already seated & "scoffing" except Owen who we joined in the queue. 

The select group in addition to the aforementioned were David, Kevin(s) S. & Y., Mike, Lee, John P., & Tim.

They all seemed in good spirits & it was a pleasure to see them!

Their departure was delayed by Chris's rear wheel puncture and I hope that they didn't get a soaking & had a safe incident-free ride home!

Rode out to Cob House via Stourport, Great whitley and Martley

to find only the A group there tucking into breakfasts.

As I arrived Chris K turned up in car to have his Sunday feast.

Sat chatting for sometime before Chris K received the message that the B's

had only done half a ride and were resting at Ombersley. Does  mean they only get half a point?

Upon leaving found flat rear tyre the others retreated back to the warmth inside the cafe

lead by the mechanic team from Speeds.

After finishing repair demonstration with support from Chris K we push of for home.

The return journey was to be via Great Whitley and Stourport as we turned out of the drive

our Worcester riders turned right for a short ride back to home Speedy & 50 Shades.

After reaching Great Whitley the Studley pair of John P & Tim F headed of back to Droitwich.

The tougher five pushed on to Stourport where Owen had a Puncture his first so he said.

It's now turning into a long day. We continue Mick H leading the way wind assisted fortunately Kev Y

not his usual self Dave C hiding somewhere.

As we turn at Hartlebury Mick H applies the pressure out of the corner hoping to put another half a wheel

into me bang down goes one leg but manages to stay on the bike oops right hand peddle axle broken high pitch voice follows.

Try to remove it from crank with allen key but its been in for thirty years.

Left him walking to Mustow Green maybe Owen will come back in car to pick him up.

More news to follow?

A run Chris P, Mick H, Owen H, Speedy, 50 Shades, Tim F, John P, Kev Y, Dave C.

Happy to report that Mick 'Speedplay axle breaker' Hazlewood was quickly recovered in the car by Owen and myself. Much to O's relief the remaining axle has been removed from the crank arm and the pedal has been wrenched off of the shoe. There's talk of a weld repair. :wacko: The squeaky high pitched voice has also subsided. 

The B run was also eventful! En route to the cafe we found an abandoned car that would surely result in some hefty repair bills after being driven into a large pool of floodwater. We rode through numerous wet and muddy lanes, and as Moira said "A club run wouldn't be right if you didn't get wet!" 

The decision was made during the ride to abandon the plans for Cobhouse and we instead had the experience of the recently .... errr ... 'renovated' farmshop cafe at the top of Ombersley - with a plan to take a longer route home to make up some miles.

The cafe, as I mentioned, has been 'renovated' and I believe extended. Chris Thompson described the new decor as "Spain; during the off season". The environment certainly is odd and in places unsettling! A secluded room with tables is barely lit by half a dozen small spotlights, and the walls are lined with old school outdoor heaters with the temperature setting defo sat to MAX!

Certain areas had been given a 'jungle' theme. The men's loos are outside, while the women's were unfortunately all backing up one by one. Suffice it to say, you have to experience it to experience it... so to speak!

Leaving the cafe we made our way home via Ladywood, Droitwich, Hanbury and Tardebigge. Both Sean and Ken peeled off early (sorry to hear you punctured Sean but glad to hear you got home safe!) leaving John, Mick, Chris, Moira and myself to amble home. 

Was home all of fifteen minutes when Owen arrived with tales of the A run! Armed with hot tea and big chunks of Mick's homemade cake we took off to go and recover the Rourke!

Thanks for the company today all and my sincere apologies Kenty that we were unable to meet up with you today. I hope you are well and I hope to see you soon. Big hugs and love x

Saw Sean going along very slowly in the distance and sensing his vulnerability overtook him whilst trying to look fresh and not out of breath .Stopped with him for a chat when then he had the puncture. It did have its humorous side as we pulled into an area of different car repairers etc. there was a baying of the hound of the Baskerville's  coming from the yard and when I volunteered to try and get a pointed tool from the house of the owners as I neared their back door a dog appeared . Praise the Lord it was tiny . I then asked the lady who came to investigate for a sharp knife . Now this proves I have the appearance of a decent chap ,because she gave it me  . We the managed to get the thorn out between us from Sean's marathon tyres which appeared to be impervious to anything man has invented but had succumbed (thank you spellcheck) to a devilish sharp thorn . 

Archived