Club Run Sunday 3rd January

Sean Barker

As the weather is not looking to good for tomorrow and is set to be a tad colder than today, can I suggest that the A's meet at the Forrest for 9.30 prompt and then perhaps join the B's at Tardebigge for 9.45 ish for a joint ride.    Dependent on the conditions we can then make a decision as regards our destination maybe considering Hilliers as we can vary our route and mileage there and keep to a minimum if needs be.

Hi Sean,

We had Speedy Kev and Kevin Rogers out with us today :) And yes I would be Montana... as in Hannah Montana, but 50 Shades is the only one that is allowed to get away with calling me that!

Right, the Saracen Sunday report. Settle in for a tale of raging rivers, fine food (choices) and magic.

Seven certifiably insane Saracens decided to ride to Hilliers today. Mick's infectious positive perspective of our wonderful weather convinced us that riding today would be absolutely fine.

By the time I had reached Tardebigge my feet were already soaked to the socks. Now, normal sane people would have reassessed the situation and abandoned the ride, but nooooooooooo! Not us! We persevered with our folly endeavour and continued on. The further we rode, the heavier the rain became, and the wetter we became. 

The Rourke jokingly suggested going via The Lenches, a suggestion that I immediately nipped in the bud, for fear that Mick's infectious 'can do' attitude might spread!

In the last few miles and digs up to the cafe Owen belted along on his steel fixed frame. I recall thinking how well he was riding, how strong he looked.

However, upon arriving at the cafe O disappeared. When he reappeared he looked a little worse for wear. He sat slumped at the table, looking sleepy. We all thought he was messing around, usual pranks and jokes; until his glazed over eyes started rolling around. Everyone, including the staff at the cafe, rallied around, removing cold wet clothing from O's shivering body. A much needed cappuccino was given to O, and slowly but surely he started to come round and brighten up. Soon he was back to his usual humourous self, although his appetite wasn't as strong as usual (but good old 50 Shades wouldn't let good eggs go to waste!)

Speaking of eggs, Lee's food choices led to some conversation and banter. His Sunday diet, up to 12pm, had consisted of eggs, eggs and errr... eggs! Our egg connoisseur promised us card tricks on our next club run; something that we are all highly looking forward to. 

While we sat in the cafe the rain became heavier, and the decision was made to take the quickest route home. If the trip to the cafe was wet and the time at the cafe eventful, then neither parts of the day had ANYTHING on the experiences we endured on the ride home.

We rode through pools of standing water that came up to my knees! I lost count of how many of these we went through, but each one seemed deeper than the last. Makeshift rivers appeared in the roads. Riding became a considered effort. The onslaught of standing water meant that muscles couldn't stay warm, and despite the short distance of the ride all three of us here at Chez Hazlewood are feeling the effects of the ride. 

And don't get me started on the impact the weather had on the bikes! Both O and Mick have emptied water from out of their wheels and frames! Surreal. 

BUT.... we all arrived home smiling. The day may have been challenging and tougher than we'd expected; but we got home and we enjoyed the company that we shared. 

Now, sat at home, warm and dry and with a roast dinner in my tum, the feeling of being soaked and chilled to the bone already feels like a distant memory.

And, as O put it, we'll never again moan about riding in a light shower; because it could be a LOT worse!!!! 

Archived