I have a slight dilema?

AlanW

In a couple of weeks time I start a new job, although I am still remaining with Severn Trent Water.  But my new base will be Finham, Coventry therefore my daily cycle commute will increase quite dramatically from 14 miles round trip to over 50 miles round trip.  Which to be fair isn't so bad in the summer months, although probably not every day.

So.....with that in mind my train of thought is to do half the journey by car and the other half by bike, more applicable in the winter months.  But I need somewhere to leave my car and after trying to figure out some sort of decent route from Redditch to Finham and doing my utmost to avoid busy roads, Hockey Heath would appear to be the best place to start looking.

The natural options are pub car parks (The Wharf pub in Hockey Heath is idea) or a local small holding/farmer, and of course I will ask for permission.

Its a very long shot I know, but before I go asking I dont suppose anyone on here knows a landlord or such like?  Failing that, I am open to any other suggestions or ideas!

Here is a possibility for you Alan, if you drive to Solihull you could always park at the “Norman Green” car park, it’s huge, open all day and free,

Then you could easily fashion a pleasant route to Coventry from there.

Alternately you could get on to the M42 and head for Warwick Parkways, park there and cycle up to Coventry. Although I think you may have to pay to park there. 

Here is a possibility for you Alan, if you drive to Solihull you could always park at the “Norman Green” car park, it’s huge, open all day and free,

Then you could easily fashion a pleasant route to Coventry from there.

Alternately you could get on to the M42 and head for Warwick Parkways, park there and cycle up to Coventry. Although I think you may have to pay to park there. 

Food for thought thanks Sean,  Although to be honest I would like to at least drive in the general direction of Finham, and its such a dam awkward place to get to.  If you want to avoid the main road then the only option is from Wroxall / Haseley Knob (great name)

I have just looked at Warwick Parkway and its £4.50 per day off peak prices, so would prove rather expensive.

Well I have spoken with a certain landlord today (not going to give details as you never know who is reading) and he was more than happy to let me park my car in his pub car park as often as I like.  In fact he couldn't have been any more helpful to be honest, such as advising me where best to position the car so as to get the most benefit from the shade.  Top bloke.  :D

According to the mapping detail, it should be around 30 miles.  Which to be honest is pretty much an ideal round trip distance for a daily ride. 

As I said at the start of the thread my current ride to/from work, (if I took the shortest route) would be 14 miles round trip.  However, I always take a longer ride in which is 11 miles, then take an even longer ride on the way home, typically an additional 30 miles.

• 2 weeks later...

Well on account that I am on holiday this week before starting my new job on the 29th, I did a dummy run today from home to my new base.  If I'm honest it was a bit farther that I thought it would, 52 miles round trip..... :o

Which as much as I'd like to, riding to/from work every day, just aint gonna happen.  :unsure:   So plan 'B' is probably going to be used more often than not, part drive part cycle.

I have also secured the use of another pub car park a bit further South than the first one, but still the same distance to ride in, so this means that I can now alternate between the two of them, as and when.

Just to throw another consideration into the mix, do you have a gritted cycle route for the winter, or is it steel studs time?

I think that my days of riding in the depths of winter may well be over, its to far to chance it even if I part drive part cycle it.  :(   And I was really spoilt when I was working in Bromsgrove as I could ride in along the tow path when it snowed, which was brilliant fun.  :D Those days have gone as well........ :( :(

Archived